Early Jem heal plate corrosion - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I recently acquired an 88 Jem with a pristine heel plate. Just about every one I have ever seen has moderate to severe corrosion. Is there a way to slow down or eliminate this? Like some type of treatment I could occasionally wipe on? TIA

Last edited by nevusofota; 10-07-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 07:53 PM

Re: Early Jem heal plate corrosion

so you're saying you have a sick JEM that needs healing?

Perhaps wait for Rich's word but i don't think much can be done about plate corrosion, all you could do i'd imagine is wipe it before you put it away to prevent more.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Nope. Just the opposite. Pristine, as in perfect. I?d like to keep it that way, even with playing it frequently.

Edit: I see what you did there, lol

Last edited by nevusofota; 10-07-2017 at 08:46 PM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

All of mine have corroded with use and time.

Not playing it will help other than that I can only imagine cleaning it after every time you play it. I'm not sure to recommend any chemical treatment, like oil or anything, I just don't know what they'd do.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
All of mine have corroded with use and time.

Not playing it will help other than that I can only imagine cleaning it after every time you play it. I'm not sure to recommend any chemical treatment, like oil or anything, I just don't know what they'd do.
That’s the thing, I really want to play it but it seems like these corrode just by looking at them. I know people are going to say, “just play it and don’t worry about it”. While I agree, I also feel that it’s extremely rare to have a mint matching plate. Would really like to keep it that way.

I was thinking about maybe using a carnuba type of car wax periodically, maybe to repel the oils from the skin.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 06:48 PM

Maybe put foil over it or buy spare plate, to replace original?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Vendor

^^^

Replace with the current generic plates so the original stays pristine and can be put back on whenever you want.

And to answer your case question [PM] original JEM1000C's are not easy to come by and definitely not cheap, especially for nice ones, not hacked up beaters with broken locks and loads of wear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode