Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Early non-recessed Edge trem setup

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  FireEagle 
#1 ·
I've always wanted an '86 RG440... well now I have one and I'm having some trouble getting it set up and playable. I have other guitars with Edge trems and love them, but they are all recessed and float like a dream. Were the '86 non-recessed tremolos supposed to float or were they only supposed to dive? I thought there would be a little headroom, but there is virtually no room to pull up. Shouldn't be an issue, because I am not a heavy tremolo user... just a dive here and there or for heavier tremolo effect, but I am having all kinds of tuning stability trouble. Any advice on setting up these early Edge equipped guitars?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply... I thought it would float, but with not much pull up room. This one is pretty much dive only though. I think the tuning stability trouble I'm having is due to heavy wear on the low E knife edge. Wondering if there are better locking trem posts I could put in along with filing the low E knife edge?

#5 ·
Dive only would be ok, but it's nice to have a little room for a heavier vibrato. I need to change the strings anyway, it came with a set of Dino Cazares 10's and plays pretty stiff at the moment so I'll try to take pictures when I do, but yeah, I lubed them with chapstick. Right now it stays sharp if pulled up and stays flat if dived... a little vibrato wiggle brings it pretty much in tune.

#7 ·
Quick question... Are the old and new style Edge tremolos/studs dimensionally the same? The '86 model and a 2000 (RG520QS) seem to measure identical, with the exception of the block length being different. Can a person swap a newer Edge trem into an old Edge trem equipped guitar if the blocks are swapped too?

Thanks!!

#9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I may try swapping the posts and trem to see if it is more stable.

As for the floating aspect, mine is so low that when you get the trem level its bottoming out on the body. Maybe a good idea to shim the neck so I can bring it up a bit?

Love the neck, love the sounds I get from it... just need to get it stable and so it floats a little bit. Thanks again for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.