Early non-recessed Edge trem setup - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jemboyee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Early non-recessed Edge trem setup

I've always wanted an '86 RG440... well now I have one and I'm having some trouble getting it set up and playable. I have other guitars with Edge trems and love them, but they are all recessed and float like a dream. Were the '86 non-recessed tremolos supposed to float or were they only supposed to dive? I thought there would be a little headroom, but there is virtually no room to pull up. Shouldn't be an issue, because I am not a heavy tremolo user... just a dive here and there or for heavier tremolo effect, but I am having all kinds of tuning stability trouble. Any advice on setting up these early Edge equipped guitars?
FireEagle is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 03:21 PM

Re: Early non-recessed Edge trem setup

I think they were supposed to just dive. Even if you find a floating setup (with reasonable string action) you won´t be able to pull up much, so...
I owned a RG425 once and had it setup "just dive" too!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hako View Post
I think they were supposed to just dive. Even if you find a floating setup (with reasonable string action) you won´t be able to pull up much, so...
I owned a RG425 once and had it setup "just dive" too!
Thanks for the reply... I thought it would float, but with not much pull up room. This one is pretty much dive only though. I think the tuning stability trouble I'm having is due to heavy wear on the low E knife edge. Wondering if there are better locking trem posts I could put in along with filing the low E knife edge?
FireEagle is online  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 08:13 PM

Reviews: 120

I'd be setting it up as dive only. Do you have some pictures of the knife edges? I'm sure you've lubed them and all the rest?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I'd be setting it up as dive only. Do you have some pictures of the knife edges? I'm sure you've lubed them and all the rest?
Dive only would be ok, but it's nice to have a little room for a heavier vibrato. I need to change the strings anyway, it came with a set of Dino Cazares 10's and plays pretty stiff at the moment so I'll try to take pictures when I do, but yeah, I lubed them with chapstick. Right now it stays sharp if pulled up and stays flat if dived... a little vibrato wiggle brings it pretty much in tune.
FireEagle is online  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 04:46 PM

I have about a dozen USA BC Rich STIIIs, and they've all got non-recessed Edge trems, and they all float.
FireEagle likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quick question... Are the old and new style Edge tremolos/studs dimensionally the same? The '86 model and a 2000 (RG520QS) seem to measure identical, with the exception of the block length being different. Can a person swap a newer Edge trem into an old Edge trem equipped guitar if the blocks are swapped too?

Thanks!!
FireEagle is online  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM

Reviews: 120

The Edges' are identical for the most part, bar the block depth, yes. From memory the tremolo arm holder may be slightly different, but functions identically.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The Edges' are identical for the most part, bar the block depth, yes. From memory the tremolo arm holder may be slightly different, but functions identically.

Thanks for the advice. I may try swapping the posts and trem to see if it is more stable.

As for the floating aspect, mine is so low that when you get the trem level its bottoming out on the body. Maybe a good idea to shim the neck so I can bring it up a bit?

Love the neck, love the sounds I get from it... just need to get it stable and so it floats a little bit. Thanks again for the help.
FireEagle is online  

Tags
1986 edge tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in