Edge mysteries solved!!......? - Answers to some common ques - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 PM

Re: Edge mysteries solved!!......? - Answers to some common ques

Inherent issue with any tremelo that isn't a Steinberger transtrem. They all do that. Because the springs are offsetting the tension of the strings. Simple physics really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:13 PM

There are a few ways to deal with it:

1. Bend the other note(s) slightly at the same time.

2. Apply pressure to the bridge with the edge of your palm while bending. If you learn to increase and reduce pressure at the right rate while you bend and release, the other notes can stay in tune very well.

3. More/stiffer springs will reduce the amount of bridge movement during bends.

4. A Tremsetter-style device will change the tremolo feel, but can hold the bridge in place during bends to a certain point and still allows bar use.

5. Tremol-No: You can quickly change between floating (as if the unit's not there at all) and hardtail mode (can't use the bar, bridge stays in place while bending).

I'd recommend working on points 1 & 2 first (after a while you'll probably be able to quickly adapt to any floating-bridge guitar), then deciding if any of the others are desired.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 AM

hmm.. ill try using the "applying pressure on the bridge" method and i think it'll be somewhat simpler to start off with, cuz it sounds similar to right hand palm muting, only that the palm now rests on the bridge, behind the saddles!!

but, ive seen steve vai play unison bend phrases.. for example there's a phrase in "touching tongues".. i wonder how he manages to keep his full-floater in tune!! maybe using stiffer springs?! i doubt he's *also* bending the so-called *un-bent* note!!

anyway thanx for the help
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 AM

Here's the answer to your other thread
>
There are solutions to this problem
1) change your technique - this means either:
a) bending the usually unbent note to keep it in tune - (this is what I do)
b) resting your hand on the tremolo to keep it from moving when string bending
c) holding the whammy bar while doing unison bends to keep it from moving - (I do this sometimes)

2) change or add to your hardware
a) block the trem with wood in the spring cavity so it can only lower in pitch
b) use a tremol-no which achieves the same thing as a) but is easily switched on and off
c) Use and Ibanez backstop, Hipshot tremsetter or similar. This has additional springs that allow you to overtension the normal tremolo springs creating a deadspot. this means that the trem seems stiffer but returns better to pitch when released and doesn't move so much if at all when strings are bent. Steve Vai uses the backstop.
Jim
>
Hope it helps
Jim

Tags
dan erlewine , electric guitar , floyd rose , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez backstop , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , ibanez trem , ibanez tremolo , jim donahue , jimi hendrix , locking tremolo , locking trems , palm muting , pro edge , pro tremolo , spring cavity , string tension , trem springs , tremolo cavity , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode