Edge Pro - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Edge Pro

just had my Jem77V BK set up and noticed the edge pro is not level. right hand side is flush with body and left is a good 5mm or more above body. questioned the guitar guy and he said thats how they are. thought the were to be equal level on both sides. the guy i went to has a great reputation. am i wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Re: Edge Pro

to an extent. Your treble side of your bridge with be lower than your bass side if you've adjusted the string height correctly. It all comes down to personal preference though in regards to string height.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 AM

5mm seems excessive to me. Yes the bass side is generally higher because the wound strings oscillate more and need more clearance between the fret and the string. Mine are generally about 1/64th difference in action. 5mm really seems up there.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Correct...I read back through and saw the OP had measured it....That's the beauty about guitars. Each one is different from the other. Some of my trems are flat, some I've had to jack up the low E (or B) side....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM

5mm sounds too much to me! In the end it's a matter of personal preference. If you like the string height as is....fine! If you'd like a little lower setting on the bass side, loosen the strings, keep the vibrato's knife edges off the poles and turn the pole in (maybe 90 = a quarter round). Retune the guitar, if still too high, repeat all steps.

If the high strings are too low, do vice versa.

If you like it as is, keep it as is.

But NEVER let the knife edges touch the poles while turning them in or out, you might damage the poles/knife edges!!!! I busted my first Floyd Rose because of this, because I didn't know better 15 years ago!

There's no rule that says it MUST be level (even though I personally prefer it that way or maybe with 1mm difference)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

the guitar is fine to play the way it is set up so i should not be complaining but there is a line on each side of the edge pro and i thought that had to be flush with the body for it to be set correctly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalupya View Post
the guitar is fine to play the way it is set up so i should not be complaining but there is a line on each side of the edge pro and i thought that had to be flush with the body for it to be set correctly.
if it plays good and stays in tune, its set up correctly. visuals have nothing to do with a correct setup
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemanized View Post
But NEVER let the knife edges touch the poles while turning them in or out, you might damage the poles/knife edges!!!! I busted my first Floyd Rose because of this, because I didn't know better 15 years ago!
This is fine to do on an Edge Pro. The knife edges, I believe, are hardened steel. I've had my prestige for 3 years now, and there isn't a hint of wear or damage to the posts or edges.

My Edge III is another story though. The damage isn't too bad, it still functions fine. It is definitely visible though. These are also made out of much cheaper (softer) metals.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post

My Edge III is another story though. The damage isn't too bad, it still functions fine. It is definitely visible though. These are also made out of much cheaper (softer) metals.
The same thing happened to my edge III, I "thinned" the knife edges following rich's website. The thing works fine now.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Anyone know why some companies will have one flat and one curved edge on their trems? From what I've read, curved edges wear slower, and from what I've seen on my Edge 3, it's true here. I have some wear on the flat edge, but the curved one looks brand new. I've seen a few trems out there that do use 2 curved edges, don't understand why it's not a standard.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 11:39 AM

All of mine have one curved and one flat. The curved one fits right on the post with no room to move left or right. The flat one can be shifted a bit. If your posts aren't absolutely perfectly centered then a doubled curved trem would not seat correctly against the post and cause all sorts of problems. Curved slots don't wear as quickly because the already conform to the shape of the post and make more surface contact. This distributes the pressure across a larger metal area. A flat edge has all the pressure resting on the one tiny point where the edge meets the post.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 02:28 PM

I had a feeling it would be along those lines. I can definitely see the need for it on an aftermarket trem that would be used on a lot of different bodies, but seems weird to have it on an OEM one that's only fitted on one brand of guitars.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM

I'd say you are more likely to see a double curved one on a higher end guitar where they are being very precise during construction and setup. On lower to mid range production models accuracy from one guitar to the next will still vary a bit. Besides that, if you are using the same trem on a $500 production guitar as you are on a $2000 custom shop guitar it still doesn't make sense to go through the expense of making two different models of the same trem.

Last edited by gideond; 11-27-2011 at 02:17 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemanized View Post
Rich has probably at least a hundred posts on this forum debating with people whether this is necessary. He says any high end edge, the OE, LP, EP, or EZ1/2, will be absolutely fine with changing the action under tension.

The lower end models like Edge 3, he recommends not changing action with strings on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode