edge pro block not perpendicular to plate - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

edge pro block not perpendicular to plate

Hi everyone,
I bought a used RG1550 1 year ago and when I do a pull up, the prevents to go further hiting the body. I thought it was normal but a couple of weeks ago the block was losen so I remove the trem and screw it again and I found out that the screw-holes in the block where in angle and the plate didn't stay perpendicular to the block. The block is in an angle leaning forward.

Is this normal? If it's not, giving that I can't return it, which solution do you recommend? Changing the block? removing wood? Other?

It is similar to what's described here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ed...-132592-2.html

thanks!
brgds
HPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Banned

Re: edge pro block not perpendicular to plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmoller View Post
Hi everyone,
I bought a used RG1550 1 year ago and when I do a pull up, the prevents to go further hiting the body. I thought it was normal but a couple of weeks ago the block was losen so I remove the trem and screw it again and I found out that the screw-holes in the block where in angle and the plate didn't stay perpendicular to the block. The block is in an angle leaning forward.

Is this normal? If it's not, giving that I can't return it, which solution do you recommend? Changing the block? removing wood? Other?

It is similar to what's described here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ed...-132592-2.html

thanks!
brgds
HPM

unscrew, remove, turn 180 deg, screw again
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 08:15 AM

Yep, you have it on backwards.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Yep, you have it on backwards.
Sure it works? Edge Pro Block aren't symetrical. On One side it has the holes for the "string ball end container". And on the other it become smaller at the end.

I don't use the plastic ball container, but it has the holes anyway.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:10 AM

Do not turn. You put it like you should. They are wrong.
Try unscrew it and carefully put screws back again but be sure that every screw is going perpendicular.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

I tried, but the holes are not perpendicular so the screws won't enter perpendicular.
Which would be the normal pull-up pitch rise? In the first E .09 I get 2 semitones.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:12 AM

Should be 5 semitones at least but on G string, ( 3rd). Type name of tremolo in any search engine, and compare picture on the web with your situation. If your tremolo looks different,I mean block angle, try to find somebody with more expirience, to check what is going on with those threads. Edge Pro is (to me) the best Ibanez tremolo, and you do not want to damage it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:37 PM

I had the same issue on my rg1527 (edge pro trem) the threaded holes in the block had stripped a half cm and were not securely holding the block in place,I bought some replacement screws that were the same type just a little longer from a hardware store and I haven't had a problem since. I don't recall the size and I'm not on my PC so I can't post pictures that I took of the bridge at the time, But take your trem apart,remove the string saddles and you will see the screw heads I'm talking about- take them to a decent hardware store and they should be able to get replacement ones for you.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 PM

I bought replacement stainless steel screws - the stock shorter screws are indeed prone to coming loose, especially with high string/spring tension scenarios...
*touch wood* the longer (15mm) screws I put in made for a much better strong hold... the stock ones came loose within a day....
I believe they are M3, and you need countersunk head, and I recommend getting hex head ones while you're at it... less prone to burring up with a good hex wrench.

(And I recall that 15 or 16mm was the maximum depth that would work in there regarding the threaded holes' depths etc.)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Banned

I believe M3 is tiny for this application (m3 are the saddle screws), might be M4 (nut bolt diameter). In any case, if you still have problems and the rest of the thread's length gets damaged, then you might try to repair the threads with some v-coil (helicoil or other) repair kit. I have done this to 2 of my floyds with stripped saddle screw hole's threads and it worked very nice. Never looked back.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:36 AM

I guess you haven't looked at an EdgePro block - multiple screws, smaller... you're thinking of an Edge/LoPro block, which have the Floyd Rose-like 3-large screw arrangement.
Because of all of the through-casting apertures they had to leave in the body of the trem to allow for the string ball end cup parts, passage, and movement, they had to work with less metal in between each saddle station: they put the smaller M3 screws in.
I just looked again at my spares to confirm: M3 x 15mm

Yes that's the spec for the saddle screws as well (although those are button-head, and for this you need flat/countersunk head).

Putting in the longer and stainless screws stopped the excursion of my RG1527CB's trem - and next time I field-strip my other EdgePro equipped guitars, I'll be taking those apart and replacing them as well.
And it won't surprise me to find those blocks having worked loose as well.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:42 AM

im starting to wonder if i have a similar problem cause my trem on my edge pro also goes out of tune.. well just mainly my high e hmm :/
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I don't believe that using longer screws will help. I believe that the holes aren't perpendicular. Look at this photo, you can see the screws not perpendicular.

and here yo can see the gap that produces between the block and the plate:
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmoller View Post
I don't believe that using longer screws will help. I believe that the holes aren't perpendicular. Look at this photo, you can see the screws not perpendicular.

and here yo can see the gap that produces between the block and the plate:
It looks kind of screwed there, pardon the pun. If you need a replacement block I've got one. Just pm me if you're interested. I think I may have spare screws as well.

Tags
angled , edge pro , edge pro block , screw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode