Edge Pro ii - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Edge Pro ii

Hey All. I've seen a few tables here that say you can direct swap a original floyd rose into a edge pro/edge pro ii cavity. I have 2003 rg320 I picked up in 04 when they were moving em out to make room for the new edge iii ones on the cheap and its served me well for the past 10 yrs (with a nice set up pups in it of course). Everything is fine but the trem is just starting wear out. yes a decade. I think that's a nice lifetime for this trem in the hands of someone who really does use it. So...are we SURE!! that an ofr fits in the cavity? does anyone have photos? right now in my life an ofr is a major investment and I just want to make DARN sure that its a fit. Sorry if im breaking rules or something. not meaning to just want to make sure when I drop ~200 bones on this trem that it just drops in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Edge Pro ii

I'm not sure a Floyd. Rose fits in properly at all. I dot recall that being an option without some routing. The Edge Pro is a direct drop in and it will serve you well for many years to come.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM

Yeah I would second an edge pro also... If you look around you can pick them up on ebay for less than $200 too
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

for me its ofr or scrap it. edge pro is not an option. im sorry you guys can love em and im not hating but i do not want one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSong View Post
for me its ofr or scrap it. edge pro is not an option. im sorry you guys can love em and im not hating but i do not want one.

I don't really like the edge pro myself, thought since you had good luck with the cheapo version, you'd want the real thing

If the floyd fits please come back and post about it so other people in your situation have a reference...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

it worked but i hated it and felt trapped. this is what i was going by. http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ed...o-68062-5.html
you can find the same chart here
http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst83...-MUST-SEE.aspx

if you notice towards the end.....original floyd rose into a edge pro edge pro ii cavity is a fit!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 06:37 PM

It may fit, but I think you'll find the issue is that the sustain block is in a different position on the Edge Pro type bridges. The sustain block on a Floyd Rose is going to park right up against the cavity edge, impinging on your ability to move the bridge. You'll have to take a chunk out of the cavity to get the movement back.

Just out of curiosity, what is your issue with the Edge Pro? I have a guitar equipped with one and it's a fantastic bridge.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

i want something i can service. get parts for easily and inexpensively. ibanez trems in my experience are anything but and i'm done with that. i'd rather have a cheapo lic trem with the angled sides anyday. least you can get screws and blocks ect.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 08:30 PM

What parts are you expecting to have to replace in the future? Saddles should definitely last unless something ridiculous happens to them. Saddle screws are pretty easy to get your hands on, the lock block design on the Edge Pro seems pretty reasonable to me too. Mind you, all of these parts should be able to last unless you do something stupid with them.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 PM

I kinda agree with Swirltop and LonePhantom. Edge Pro is the way to go if you don't want to modify the trem cavity. If you're not against routing the cavity, then my vote would be for Gotoh 1996T. It is cheaper than the OFR (~$110 iirc), comes with a brass block, the top side knife edge profile is flat giving you a bit of leeway with the stud spacing and extremely well built. The only problem I see is the bridge radius of 360mm with the Gotoh, which means you'd have to shim the outer strings, but I think you're going to have the same issue with the OFR anyway.

I have one waiting to go in my next build and I think if I'm not "cloning" an Ibanez for myself, I'll use nothing but Gotoh trem for my builds with a floating bridge.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

i think i'm going to grab me a floyd rose trem and try it. if it doesn't fit i'm going to look on ebay for an older rg320 body with a trs rout and throw my neck on it and drop my ofr in it. that's what i want. I WANT an ofr.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 PM

Reviews: 2

You do know that all OFR's come with a 12" saddle radius, right?

Be prepared to shim the Lo-E, A, B, and Hi-E saddles to match the 16" radius on your 320.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 10:58 PM

Anyone ever tried to swap Edge pro II to a Floyd Rose 1000 PRO which is low profile

Last edited by DeadLord; 01-30-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode