Edge Pro Question (Expierenced replies please) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Edge Pro Question (Expierenced replies please)

Does the Edge Pro need to be level at both the treble and the bass side? In other words, will having my action set at 1.5mm on the treble side, and the action set at 2.5mm on the bass side, effect the Edges ability to stay in tune? I went to Riches post about setting up the Edge, and followed the instructions, but My Edge is still going out of tune.

I've stretched the new strings(GHS Boomers .009's) and set the Edge in a neutral position. All of the locking nut screws are tight, including the 2 that hold the nut to the neck. The neck screws are tight, and the Edge locking stud screws are tight.

Sometimes the Edge will go a little(maybe a quarter step) flat when I dive bomb, and about a quarter sharp when I pull up. The funny thing, is that its staying in tune, just flat or sharp by about a quarter step depending on what I do with the bar.

This is a new guitar, a RG570. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,

Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Vendor

Re: Edge Pro Question (Expierenced replies please)

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/lockdown.htm

Procedure
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 04:46 AM

Did you check the knife edges ? If they're too fat , you'll get that problem too.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:28 AM

The Chapstick tip on Rich's site really works too. I tried it on my Lo Pro (and was sceptical) but it did make a difference)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 03:05 AM

The RG570 was last produced in 2002 and was equipped with the original style Edge trem. It also has locking studs. When set up properly, you can achieve a near perfect float - 98 - 99% return to perfect pitch after a pull up or dive.

As of 2003, the RG570 was changed to RG1570 and is a Prestige model. All of the newer Prestige RG guitars have the Edge Pro trem with non locking studs. Some folks can't tell the difference between locking or non-locking. I had a RG1550 with the Edge Pro. I never bothered to buy Rich's locking stud mod kit because after setting it up with chapstick, I had about a 98% return to pitch without correcting back to neutral. After a year or so of normal trem usage, I began to notice a sloppier feel and the trem didn't return to pitch as well as it used to. I was now experiencing maybe 93 - 95% and could definitely tell the guitar was out of tune after a dive or pull up. I decided to sell my 1550 and got a pre '02 RG550 instead.

I'd definitely recommend the locking stud kit for Edge Pro equipped guitars. (available from Rich at Ibanez Rules!) I was pretty tame with mine and never really abused the trem to Steve Vai standards.

Has anyone else with un-modified studs experienced sloppy fitting threads over time?

Tags
edge pro trem , edge trem , equipped guitar , locking nut , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , neck screws , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode