Edge Pro Rant - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Edge Pro Rant

OK, so, LONG time Ibanez user here.

My current Ibanez Instruments include the following

RG2020X Pretstige
RG1570 Prestige
Jem7VWH
RG570
RG560 (square heel)
RG550

Here is my rant. The newest of the guitars is the Prestige RG1570 in Mirage Blue. I picked it up at a pawn shop a couple months ago for (what I thought was a great price) $300 with the Team J-Craft hardshell case. The guitar was/is in near mint condition. It has the Edge Pro trem on it.

So, ALL my ibanez guitars have saddles that are milled. Ive been playing guitars with floating trems on them since the mid 80's. Kramer, Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, etc etc ... this Edge Pro, I really started paying attention to last thursday when cleaning the guitar and noticed that the finish was looking ... bubbly ... so, I cleaned the guitar, polished the frets and began the restring when the low E saddle broke around the pivot pin ... what the hell?? Pot metal ... seriously?? No, Ive never over tightened it and, Yes, this is the first time in 25 years of playing with Double Locking Trems that I have EVER broke a saddle.

So, that being said, Can I swap the whole unit out for a Lo-Pro Edge like on my other Ibanez's? Can I get milled saddle replacements for the Edge Pro? What are my options and where is my best place to get replacement parts??

~kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Vendor

Re: Edge Pro Rant

Every saddle on every one of your Ibanez is cast pot metal. The 1570 is probably 2003/04 when there was a problem with breaking saddles.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

You are right, that is the era the 1570 is from.

grrrrr ... now, are you Rich with Ibanez RULZ? Do you have replacement saddles?

Ive got a show friday and saturday that I need this guitar on ... grrrrr ... LOL ...

Thanks for your input!

~kevin

and, I did not know that ALL of them were cast pot metal ... i would have swore on someones life that the old ones were milled ... thanks for that tid-bit of info .. I was about to swear off of new ibanez's ... whew ..... lol
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Vendor

Yup, you'll have a chance that more of the saddles will have a problem over time. Those that break one have usually broken another.

To answer the question you can only put a Lo Pro in it if you square the corners of the rout on either side of the studs where it's very rounded.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

OR, replace all the saddles, either at once or over time ......
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Vendor

At $24 each.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Dang ... ok ... do you have them in stock, in the cosmo finish? I guess I have to have one till I figure out if I want to do the trem swap .... And, how quick could I get one out to Richmond VA?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Vendor

Always, email me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM

Reviews: 2

This happened to me on a (brand new) 2003 EP2. It's what brought me to Jemsite. Must have been fate.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 AM

Hey! just my 2 cents. As far as i'm aware, the Lo pro edge will NOT do a direct swap into the Edge pro cavity. I have both edge pro and lo-pro edge bridges. i measured them, and it does not fit in. I see u're planning to get new saddles. Good luck!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 PM

I am thinking of replacing my edge pro with an edge or lo pro........I have a 2005 3120F with the edge pro. How do I square off the sides without damaging the flame top. Also, are the radius the same and since the edge pro has a lower profile can I still get my action as low as I have it now (1/32 high E 2/32 Low E)?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennelsonlim View Post
Hey! just my 2 cents. As far as i'm aware, the Lo pro edge will NOT do a direct swap into the Edge pro cavity. I have both edge pro and lo-pro edge bridges. i measured them, and it does not fit in. I see u're planning to get new saddles. Good luck!
Read Rich's reply--routing is required.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Reviews: 12

Actually I believe the material is a Aluminum alloy of sorts, I do know they do a 3 step elecroplating process to create the finish regardless of color.
I have seen some aftermarket Replacement saddles I believe are Machined so there is no way those could be made of same material because loss rate would be to high to make a profit. I will look in my 320GB External drive and see if I am able to find the name of the company.
Sadly I will saythough there electroplating Quality Control Dept has failed MIserably on all of the edge Trems I have owned which has been 2 Original Edges and 2 Edge Pro's because every single one has ended up growing Blisters between the copper Level and the ( Mystery Metal) ya calling it MM would be easier then aluminum alloy.
I Have come to believe there must of been contaminates either on teh Trem Base or in the electroplating Metal or Chemicals.
It is actually very sad because I have items that still to this day look like new so it can be done.
I know if you sand the Trems all the way down to the MM you can use a Toaster Oven and Birchwood Casey Super Blue to Blacken the Metal . It makes it lgood but if you get right up close and start looking for flaws you can tell its modded but no one in crowd would ever know and it helps resist corrosion if you don't want to plunk a goot chunk of $$ down on a new one taht in 10 years will do exact same thing.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Reviews: 12

@Rich are you saying we can buy replacement Edge Pro Saddles for only $24 each? do you have Cosmo? I have been noticing my Low E saddle is getting stiffer and stiffer to where I can now back off the adjustment Screw and count to 10 before the saddle catches back up with adjustment screw
I have tried Lithium Spray Grease, Soaking it in PB Blaster, WD-40 and Diesel and nothing works. I noticed when I recieved it there was a dent on it like while it was off of a guitar it was dropped from maybe 2 feet so maybe the pin is bent and finally needing replaced
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Vendor

Maybe you have one of these, but these were first batch trems

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu...uner_range.htm

Saddles always in stock.

Tags
edge pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode