Edge pro tuning problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Edge pro tuning problem

Hi,
I've been having some pretty bad tuning stability problems with my Edge Pro equipped RG1570. I've had the guitar for around 10 years, but barely used the tremolo and only got these problems recently. Basically If I tune normally and lock down the string at the nut and start tuning at the fine tuners all of the strings go out of tune while doing the fine tuning, some of the strings go down in pitch almost 15 cents. It's impossible to get all of the strings in correct pitch. Also if I push down with the tremolo arm, the string will go flat even more. If I then raise the bar, the strings will return to rougle the same pitch they were previously.

I have already read Rich's guide to trem setup and checked that the following isssues are not the cause.
-neck joint is tight
-strings are not slipping in the nut
-locking nut is tight and not moving
-springs have been changed and strings are new and streched
- knife edges are not perfect, but not so bad that they would be the cause in my opinnion
-Intonation screws are tight and saddles are tight in place on the bridge
-The trem stud inserts are thight in the bod and not moving
-the tension plate thats pusing the fine tuning from below is giving each tuner adequate pressure

Some observations:
-I can see very minor wear on the posts( could the posts actually wear out faster than the knife edges and cause such bad tuning issues?)
-if the trem is taken off, the studs sit very loosely in the inserts, but I think they are supposed to be like that(?)

I hope someone can give some thoughts on whats causing this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:51 AM

Re: Edge pro tuning problem

You can replace the pivot posts with brand new locking posts from the original Edge/Lopro to get rid of that unhelpful looseness, this will eliminate wear and movement as possible causes leaving only knife-edge condition as a possible cause.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Re: Edge pro tuning problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
You can replace the pivot posts with brand new locking posts from the original Edge/Lopro to get rid of that unhelpful looseness, this will eliminate wear and movement as possible causes leaving only knife-edge condition as a possible cause.
Do you think the wear of these parts can cause the problems I'm having? it's not just tuning stability problem when using the them, I mean I'm completely unable to tune the guitar to perfect pitch. Tuning with the fine tuners will result in other string's tuning going off.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 AM

Look, this is a simple mechanical issue, there's no black magic at work here, no supernatural forces or malignant spiritual entity.
The tremolo bridge will not stay in balance so every time you change the tension of one string the entire bridge moves enough to change the tuning, if the bridge is sticking then it's either the knife edges or the posts or both.

Tags
edge pro , issues , problem , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode