Edge Pro vs ZR - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Edge Pro vs ZR

which do you guys perfer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:37 PM

Re: Edge Pro vs ZR

ZR Tremolo. No Question.

I've never been happier with a trem since I got my S470DXQM. The ZR, like Rich says, is ingenious. Eliminating knife edge friction is the best thing to happen to trems in a while, and it's long overdue, imo. You cant beat the fluid feel of the ZR, it just feels "correct". Everything feels more organic, and the flutter, oh the flutter..
The pitch return on the ZR leaves nothing to be desired. I go ab-so-lut-ly ape sh*t on that thing, and boom, Im back where I started, in tune.
The backstop is coveted tool, and the ZR sporting one must please alot of people. I don't use them, and took mine off immediately, you lose nothing in doing so. But it's there for those who want it, and it works.
The shape is ergonomically friendly, and feels food against your palm. It also looks damn sexy imo.
Did I miss anything, oh yeah! Setup is a breeze! Included intonation tool is priceless many will agree. Also, backstop can come in handy during setups. I also like the ability to adjust arm tension at any time. That also reminds me of the ease of adjusting spring tension, also available at any time.
I rant and rant about this thing, cause I love it. It's a floydist's dream, and a beginner's friend, it suits all.

Now, just add this to 24 frets and an alder body, and boom, you have my dream guitar. Hey Ibanez, I'll be your best freind.... (For now im thinkin retrofitting)

Love to support my ZR!

\00/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:43 PM

EDGE PRO... all the way !!! Only prestige guitars have it, it has to be...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:25 PM

I dunno which one I like better because they are different and have a different feel. The ZR is super smooth and that has it's uses but the Edge Pro has knife edges which give the trem a different feel and sound. But if I HAD to choose then I would have to say the ZR simply because the overall concept and design are awesome along with the tuning stability.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:17 PM

I think the feel of each trem is workable, i'm not too picky about that. My Edge Pro stays in tune pretty well and if the ZR stays in tune better i would probably prefer to use that one but ibanez needs to put the ZR on a 24 fret guitar, otherwise i would probably not purchase a guitar with a ZR trem.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:32 PM

Forgot to add one advantage that EdgePro might have is the arm holder location. Depending on where the fulcrum is, the trem will have a different feel. I do think the Edges have a looser, more encouraging feel as far as whammy work, especially crazy stuff. And this is probably due to the trem arm location. However, my ZR can definately keep up, and I use the hell out of it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataGuitarist
Forgot to add one advantage that EdgePro might have is the arm holder location. Depending on where the fulcrum is, the trem will have a different feel. I do think the Edges have a looser, more encouraging feel as far as whammy work, especially crazy stuff. And this is probably due to the trem arm location. However, my ZR can definately keep up, and I use the hell out of it.

my edge pro is stiff as hell
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:39 PM

lmfao

Never played an actaul edge pro :<
but ive noodled on some well broken in edges, and they felt pretty good

Edit: eh F*ck it my ZR feels way better than any edge, lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

i've played a ZR its alright,Its rather smoother than Edge Pro, I played it on that Ibanez S520EX guitar,which is a nice guitar but my friend drop tunes and never carries his bar with him. as he does that "hardcore" music, chunky riff style stuff, dont know why he got a guitar with a trem to begin with. lol
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 PM

edge pro all the way
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:05 AM

Reviews: 1

since i have only play an edge pro and a Lo-pro. i´d go for the EDGE pro... it feels stiffer and stays in tune all the time, no matter how hard i abuse of it.
JJ
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:58 AM

I've tried a ZR once... before that, played Gotoh Floyds and the original Edge... the ZR is smoother. Hands down smoooooooother. But i'm old fashioned, it was too smooth for me.. and felt almost "bounchy"!

I would take the ZR though, if given the chance... or Vigier guitar's ball bearing floyd rose design.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 02:39 AM

edge pro
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataGuitarist
ZR Tremolo. No Question.

I've never been happier with a trem since I got my S470DXQM. The ZR, like Rich says, is ingenious. Eliminating knife edge friction is the best thing to happen to trems in a while, and it's long overdue, imo. You cant beat the fluid feel of the ZR, it just feels "correct". Everything feels more organic, and the flutter, oh the flutter..
The pitch return on the ZR leaves nothing to be desired. I go ab-so-lut-ly ape sh*t on that thing, and boom, Im back where I started, in tune.
The backstop is coveted tool, and the ZR sporting one must please alot of people. I don't use them, and took mine off immediately, you lose nothing in doing so. But it's there for those who want it, and it works.
The shape is ergonomically friendly, and feels food against your palm. It also looks damn sexy imo.
Did I miss anything, oh yeah! Setup is a breeze! Included intonation tool is priceless many will agree. Also, backstop can come in handy during setups. I also like the ability to adjust arm tension at any time. That also reminds me of the ease of adjusting spring tension, also available at any time.
I rant and rant about this thing, cause I love it. It's a floydist's dream, and a beginner's friend, it suits all.

Now, just add this to 24 frets and an alder body, and boom, you have my dream guitar. Hey Ibanez, I'll be your best freind.... (For now im thinkin retrofitting)

Love to support my ZR!

\00/
I wish Ibanez would make a lefty version of it .

Regards

André

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Exclamation Re: Edge Pro vs ZR

Zr for 2 reasons
1 More surface area connects the bridge to the body aiding in vibration transfer.
2 the fulcrum point lies directly beneath the string contact point allowing a constant string position during tremolo use. This allows you to position the pickups VERY close to the strings.

A major desighn flaw on edj and Floyd fulcrum point is foreward of string contact point causing strings to raise and lower during use. This must be compensated for by lowering the pickup as not to bottom out on it. This compensation makes for a loss in tone. Anyone who thinks this is errelevent is either deaf or just as crazy as the people who think wood and material type have no effect on tone.

Tags
alder body , arm holder , floyd rose , fret guitar , intonation tool , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode