Edge setup question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Question Edge setup question

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble setting up the edge tremolo on a RG550DY 20th anniversary guitar that I acquired.
The guitar is practically brand new except the precious owner changed the pick guard.
The trouble is, I want to lower the action but I can't find the 1.5mm screws inside the tremolo posts. I have looked inside and it's not there. I can just adjust the stud posts but I just wanted to find out if that would cause any problems? I know I may be overly careful but I want to preserve this guitar for a long long time. I have always played Stratocasters but after feeling the neck on this guitar, it's really difficult to take out my Stratocaster out of it's case.
And also, if I can find the screws inside for sale anywhere?

The third issue is, the tone control switches off the guitar when I roll it to maximum. I have never opened up a pick guard or change a pick up or tried to do so. Is this a simple adjustment that I can do myself? And the important question, what do I do?

Thanks,
Mozzo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 AM

Re: Edge setup question

So first off with the locking studs, what you might want to do is loosen the strings, pop the trem springs off and pull the trem out. You don't have to take the strings off to do this. Take the trem studs completely out of the guitar to see if the locking studs are even there. If anything, then you can clean em up a bit so that when locking or unlocking the lockingstuds, you can get on to the 1.5mm end easily. I know with all my lo-pros and edge equipped guitars, when I've first bought them, that's the first thing I do. Locking studs can be bought here...http://www.ibanezrules.com/. Read his setup guide too as that will walk you through this whole locking stud thingy.
Best I can say on the tone knob is that it might be a bad one if it cuts out when you roll it on.
Hope I helped.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM

Reviews: 4

the above instructions are a bit risky and a little overkill (sorry bro). You will not be able to *see* the locking screws, but I suggest sticking a 1.5mm allen wrench in there and try twisting in clockwise and counter-clockwise quite a bit. When You get a guitar, It's always hard to find the locking screws - It took me over a week!

Also, If you DO happen to need to take the trem off, It is not necessary to loosen the strings. All you need to do is turn the guitar over (on your lap, where a knee is supporting the bridge), and take the springs off one at a time, make sure you apply pressure to the bridge with you knee when turning it over, so it doesn't pop/fly out. also hold on to it when you turn the guitar back over. Please read this:
And eventualy even all of this: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
the above instructions are a bit risky and a little overkill (sorry bro). You will not be able to *see* the locking screws, but I suggest sticking a 1.5mm allen wrench in there and try twisting in clockwise and counter-clockwise quite a bit. When You get a guitar, It's always hard to find the locking screws - It took me over a week!

Also, If you DO happen to need to take the trem off, It is not necessary to loosen the strings. All you need to do is turn the guitar over (on your lap, where a knee is supporting the bridge), and take the springs off one at a time, make sure you apply pressure to the bridge with you knee when turning it over, so it doesn't pop/fly out. also hold on to it when you turn the guitar back over. Please read this:
And eventualy even all of this: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
risky?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 PM

yeah, risky for somebody that isn't that experienced (like the OP). I would not tell somebody to try that that just got their first guitar with a floating bridge. you gotta start somewhere, but you gotta start small.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
yeah, risky for somebody that isn't that experienced (like the OP). I would not tell somebody to try that that just got their first guitar with a floating bridge. you gotta start somewhere, but you gotta start small.
Much agreed. I don't wish to start a heated debate over what the OP is asking, nor is it my intent but IMO it is the "safest" way to check things out as opposed to taking trem springs off WITH tension on the strings. That is of course in the event that trying to get a 1.5mm allen down in the trem stud to lock/unlock ends up not working due to it either being full of years of crud, or due to the locking screw being seized up in the post. Either way, I do know we agree that reading Rich's guide is a must.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Thumbs up Re: Edge setup question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
Much agreed. I don't wish to start a heated debate over what the OP is asking, nor is it my intent but IMO it is the "safest" way to check things out as opposed to taking trem springs off WITH tension on the strings. That is of course in the event that trying to get a 1.5mm allen down in the trem stud to lock/unlock ends up not working due to it either being full of years of crud, or due to the locking screw being seized up in the post. Either way, I do know we agree that reading Rich's guide is a must.
I concur
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

@TMatt142 and fwd0120

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
So now, I found out that the locking studs are not there. The previous owner must have taken it out and forgotten to put it back in.
Also I read Rich's guide for setting up the tremolo, thanks for the link. It's a great help.

I am going to order the locking studs from Rich, he ships to Australia.

In the meantime, is it alright if I adjust tremolo studs to lower the action?
I also have a MIJ RG470 and it's action is much lower than the RG550 and I want to correct this so badly.

Thanks a lot,
Mozzo
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM

I bought a guitar not that long ago where I was getting no love on the locking screws. I finally pulled the whole stud at which point I realized that the previous owner had put the locking screws in upside down. They worked a lot better with the "allen" end facing in the right direction!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Hey, yeah - You can adjust it if you are positive the locking screws aren't there. You will find out quickly if the studs don't want to budge, so don't "force" it! Actually the edge is the only bridge with locking studs, even the Original floyd rose does not have them!

A lot of folks will want to loosen the strings to put less pressure on the knives/studs as you adjust the action. While many say that is overkill for the original edge (which is a bit stronger than other trems), it is necessary for cheaper trems, like the edge III and the trems on jacksons etc. BUT if you want to be on the safe side you can take of outer 2 SPRINGS in the back of the guitar to take off a bit of tension. If you take off the outer sPrings and don't loosen the sTrings, you won't need to worry about having to re-tune it!!

P.S: hey, I didn't know you actually had experience with floating trems! I just read the you "have always played Stratocasters" So I naively figured you have only ever played strats lol. 470s are nice guitars, you shouldn't have any trouble adjusting the action with the 550.

Last edited by fwd0120; 08-02-2011 at 12:54 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Hey, yeah - You can adjust it if you are positive the locking screws aren't there. You will find out quickly if the studs don't want to budge, so don't "force" it! Actually the edge is the only bridge with locking studs, even the Original floyd rose does not have them!
Wrong.

Gotoh (who make the Edge, Lo Pro, Edge Pro) have locking studs with their own trem.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 PM

ouch, your right, i totally forgot! I stand correncted . Makes sense gotoh has locking studs, I believe they made all the bridges like the OE and LP IIRC. the EZ is made from a different factory, not sure if it's gotoh :-/ .
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I bought a guitar not that long ago where I was getting no love on the locking screws. I finally pulled the whole stud at which point I realized that the previous owner had put the locking screws in upside down. They worked a lot better with the "allen" end facing in the right direction!
That's funny!

Quote:

A lot of folks will want to loosen the strings to put less pressure on the knives/studs as you adjust the action. While many say that is overkill for the original edge (which is a bit stronger than other trems), it is necessary for cheaper trems, like the edge III and the trems on jacksons etc. BUT if you want to be on the safe side you can take of outer 2 SPRINGS in the back of the guitar to take off a bit of tension. If you take off the outer sPrings and don't loosen the sTrings, you won't need to worry about having to re-tune it!!

P.S: hey, I didn't know you actually had experience with floating trems! I just read the you "have always played Stratocasters" So I naively figured you have only ever played strats lol. 470s are nice guitars, you shouldn't have any trouble adjusting the action with the 550.
Thanks mate, I'll do it exactly how you say it. Appreciate it.
By the way, you were right I don't have much experience with floating trems, just basic knowledge and the trems on the 550 and 470 are quite different. And I like the 470 too. And I have a few questions on that guitar too. I'll post it in a separate thread.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I have lowered the action after reading all your comments. And I like it now. Its not buzzing and very smooth and nice now.

Thanks a lot for showing me the ropes. Now all I gotta do is, buy the locking studs and look at the tone knob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode