Edge trem arm holder nut- tighten?? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Edge trem arm holder nut- tighten??

Hi, any help with this welcome.

On my recently acquired Jem 7V the tremolo arm holder tends to spin loose, particularly when the trem arm is rotated anticlockwise. I assume the arm holder nut is loose but its super awkward to access.

From the rear cavity, my recessed socket wrench is too short to reach the nut due to the length of the arm holder. From the front (with the tremolo fully pushed up in dive bomb position) the space is still too tight to put a spanner on the nut without gouging the finish around the tremolo cavity.

There's surely an easier way to tighten this nut without taking the bridge apart and wrecking the setup?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Vendor

Re: Edge trem arm holder nut- tighten??

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup
peromucho7 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thanks. A relatively easy fix after reading that.

Unfortunately I decided to up my string gauge while the rear cover was off (from 9-9.5)...not so straight forward! A couple of hours and a 4th spring later and I’ve just about got it setup correctly, I think.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:00 AM

I just joined the forum so there are so many things I don't know yet, I hope to have the help of the boards, and I really want to get to know you all on the forum.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:02 AM

It is wonderful to be here with everyone, I have a lot of knowledge from what you share, to say thank you, the information and knowledge here helps me a lot
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

Unfortunately I decided to up my string gauge while the rear cover was off (from 9-9.5)...not so straight forward! A couple of hours and a 4th spring later and Iíve just about got it setup correctly, I think.
You shouldn't need 4 springs with 9.5-44. In fact, up to 10-46 you should be ok with 3 springs
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santir79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

Unfortunately I decided to up my string gauge while the rear cover was off (from 9-9.5)...not so straight forward! A couple of hours and a 4th spring later and I’ve just about got it setup correctly, I think.
You shouldn't need 4 springs with 9.5-44. In fact, up to 10-46 you should be ok with 3 springs
That’s what I expected but the bridge flew up, even with the claw screws turned to tighten the springs.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 AM

How old are those springs then? You might need some new ones. But only if pushing the bar down is hard (normally it is with 4 springs)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
How old are those springs then? You might need some new ones. But only if pushing the bar down is hard (normally it is with 4 springs)
It’s a new guitar! Had it 3 weeks. Yes the bar now harder to push down.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM

it sounds strange to me. I use 9.5-44 with my Jems in standard tuning. Never had to add a spring.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
it sounds strange to me. I use 9.5-44 with my Jems in standard tuning. Never had to add a spring.
I double checked it all and without the 4th spring I “just” run out of enough trem claw screw travel to bring the bridge level. It’s a shame as I probably preferred the trem bar tension with 3 springs. Also, it means the spring locking bar has to be held with only 1 screw as the 4th spring uses a threaded hole in the block. I’ll live with 9.5s for a while and decide if it’s worth it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Vendor

You haven't run out of room unless the claw is flush against the wood. If it is your springs are weak.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You haven't run out of room unless the claw is flush against the wood. If it is your springs are weak.
No, hadn’t gone that far in but was meeting quite a lot of resistance so kind of bottled it. The screw was entering wood at the smooth, unthreaded part near the head...that ok then?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Vendor

You're running into resistance because nobody ever put a heavier gauge on and you're cutting threads. If it's basswood no problem, it it's mahogany I would pull the screws and drill the hole deeper. I have twisted screws in half cutting threads in hard wood.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You're running into resistance because nobody ever put a heavier gauge on and you're cutting threads. If it's basswood no problem, it it's mahogany I would pull the screws and drill the hole deeper. I have twisted screws in half cutting threads in hard wood.
It’s alder (a new 7v-wh). I’ll try again without drilling first. Really appreciate your advice, thanks.

Tags
tremolo arm nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode