Edge trem two spring setup question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Edge trem two spring setup question

Hi All,

I am trying to set up my RG550 with original edge trem. I want to use 2 springs but the problem is that when I tune to pitch, the bridge pulls way up (or down I guess)...so I have tried to offset by tightening the screws inside the back cavity, but even when they are screwed all the way in, my Edge is not even close to flush/parallel with the top of the guitar.

Anyone have any ides on how to fix this, or am I destined to use 3 trem springs?

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Re: Edge trem two spring setup question

Add a third spring or get stiffer or shorter springs.

I'm not sure what you believe the downside is of using 3 springs? The strings when in tune create a certain amount of tension. The springs need to counteract that tension. It doesn't matter if you use 2, 3 or 10 springs to accomplish that, the total force is the same.

If you want a looser feel, try a drop tuning or lighter gauge strings.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 PM

I play with 9s and two stock springs with a tremsetter in the middle. I just put a new trem in another guitar and it has 10s on it. Too much string tension for two stock springs with a tremsetter. I replaced the stock springs with heavy springs from Floyd Upgrades and they are working out just fine. With no tremsetter you should be able to use up to 5 stock or stiff springs with no issues.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

My thought is that two springs would result in a looser, spongier feel. I am using 9's. Thanks for the inout,
Rob
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbernie28 View Post
My thought is that two springs would result in a looser, spongier feel.
Indeed. Try to get 2 Gotoh springs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, less springs should equal looser feel.

Springs basically have a constant rate as they stretch. The total force is that rate times the distance they move. There is an initial fixed amount of force that counteracts the string tension, but then any additional movement of the trem will be just based on the spring rate times the number of springs (assuming you're comparing moving the trem the same distance regardless of number of springs).

Putting that engineering degree to work LOL!

To the OP: your best bet is to get two shorter springs. Click on the Ibanez Rules banner on the top and look in his parts. The standard trem springs are 52mm long and he sells 47mm ones. Try those out.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:05 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, less springs should equal looser feel.

Springs basically have a constant rate as they stretch. The total force is that rate times the distance they move. There is an initial fixed amount of force that counteracts the string tension, but then any additional movement of the trem will be just based on the spring rate times the number of springs (assuming you're comparing moving the trem the same distance regardless of number of springs).

Putting that engineering degree to work LOL!

To the OP: your best bet is to get two shorter springs. Click on the Ibanez Rules banner on the top and look in his parts. The standard trem springs are 52mm long and he sells 47mm ones. Try those out.
Great explanation Jesse!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:30 PM

I have both Gotoh and and Floyd Upgrades stiff springs in hand. They look and feel like the exact same spring to me. I can say that the guitar with the two stiff spring and the new Gotoh tremolo strung with 10s definitely feels much stiffer and harder to dive on that it previously did.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 PM

Well if you move to stiff springs, you're going to mostly if not completely negate the effect of reducing the number of springs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
I have both Gotoh and and Floyd Upgrades stiff springs in hand. They look and feel like the exact same spring to me.
Gotoh springs are blue when new until they fade to yellow.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
Gotoh springs are blue when new until they fade to yellow.
The ones I have in hand are a greenish color, could be taken for blue I guess. So are the Floyd Upgrades stiff springs. The Gotoh springs came right out of a GE1996T tremolo box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode