Edge tremolo; knives parallel but still looks too raised? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Edge tremolo; knives parallel but still looks too raised?

I've been doing setup on my JEM777DY 30'th, and get the same result as on my LNG: Tremolo knives look parallel to the body, but the bridge still looks a bit raised at the end. At least when comparing to other images of the edge tremolo I look at online.

Are there any other measuremen that I can do other than eyeballing the knife edges alignment with the body?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg paralell.jpg (16.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg but looks high.jpg (15.5 KB, 60 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:59 AM

Re: Edge tremolo; knives parallel but still looks too raised?

The Edge and Lo Pro have an angled baseplate where the top of the baseplate is at an angle in relation to the bottom. The bottom of the base is parallel to the knife edge and bottom line it will be the knife edge that we will be concerned with when setting the trem angle on Edge and Lo Pro trems. Setting the trem angle of your Floyd is very easy, it only requires understanding what to do.

Your goal is to have the Knife Edge meet the Trem Post at a 90* angle (perpendicular).

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I am aware that the edge will look slanted when adjusted correctly. But to me, my tremolo is too high at the back even though I have the the edge knives parallel to the body.

Do you think I have mine adjusted correctly?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 AM

Reviews: 120

If the knife edges are parallel then they're parallel, it's set up correctly.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 02:31 AM

Looks about right. Do the moderns versions of the edge have the little horizontal marker on the side of the bass side? Looks like in the first image it does. If that's level, you've good to go.

And congrats!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman2x View Post
Do the moderns versions of the edge have the little horizontal marker on the side of the bass side? Looks like in the first image it does. If that's level, you've good to go.
Do you mean the horisontal rectangle? That is the actual knife steel blade, inserted into the base plate.

I'll keep my setup as is. It holds tune, feels right when using the whammy, and flutters well (after removing the backstop).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomblot View Post
Do you mean the horisontal rectangle? That is the actual knife steel blade, inserted into the base plate.

I'll keep my setup as is. It holds tune, feels right when using the whammy, and flutters well (after removing the backstop).

I guess that's what I mean. Didn't realise it was for the steel insert. Either way, on my Jem and 540S, they're setup right when this is perpendicular to the posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

I just want someone to say "that looks perfect Mr. Phantomblot" and me believing it :-D
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:53 AM

That looks perfect Mr. Phantomblot.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomblot View Post
I've been doing setup on my JEM777DY 30'th, and get the same result as on my LNG: Tremolo knives look parallel to the body, but the bridge still looks a bit raised at the end. At least when comparing to other images of the edge tremolo I look at online.

Are there any other measuremen that I can do other than eyeballing the knife edges alignment with the body?

These look fine to me as well...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:42 AM

Looks perfectly straight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode