Edge zero angle help - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Edge zero angle help

I've been registered on here for a while, but this is my first post. This forum is filled with Ibanez experts, so hopefully someone can help me out with this!

I'm having an issue with my edge zero's setup angle on my Prestige. From what I'm gathering from various sources, the edge zero should be parallel to the body.

My problem is when the trem is parallel to the body it doesn't touch the ZPS bar. I attached an image to show what the trem looks like when I push the whammy bar down until it touches the ZPS bar (without moving the bar). It doesn't look right to me when the trem is at the angle. The strings are off the guitar at the moment, but when I tried to reduce the tension on the springs to move the trem so it touched the ZPS bar, the action was way too high on the 12th fret and higher.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-edgezero.jpg (19.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by dimedaner; 04-26-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Vendor

Re: Edge zero angle help

Looks flat to me.

With the ZPS in it must be in contact with the bar, first movement dive the bar moves, first movement pull-up the bar does not move. The bar controls trem angle as not all body routs are the same.

With the bar removed the angle is just set flat.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 PM

Rich has worked on more of these than he can count, and he's right, go with the ZPS bar and don't be concerned with the angle you're seeing outside the cavity.

The only time you have to adjust this manually is with the bridges that don't have the ZPS, or if you remove the ZPS to make it float.

Last edited by MicJustMic; 04-26-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: For incorrect advice.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 PM

Almost forgot...

With the bridge angle set correctly, if your action is too high, just lower it using the posts. they do go lower into the body.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
I think I understand the mistake you're making dimedaner...

The bridge TOP is not supposed to be parallel, the knife edge is. The top of the bridge plate has an upward slope compared to the bottom and it just looks like it's angled up, even though it's flat.

Look at the knife edge insert, it's fine. Perpendicular to the post like it should be.

Rich has worked on more of these than he can count, and he's right, go with the ZPS bar and don't be concerned with the angle you're seeing outside the cavity.

The only time you have to adjust this manually is with the bridges that don't have the ZPS, or if you remove the ZPS to make it float. That being said, the top of this particular bridge is not supposed to be flat with the body, the knife edge is.
so the angle doesn't matter ? when im using the Zps ?

..Dimedaner
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Vendor

Mic, EZ's are not angled. The baseplate is parrallel to the knife so it sets up flat when floating.

With the ZPS the ZPS controls the angle, that's just the way it is, no matter how much it's angled.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 PM

Yes, it always matters, but the ZPS will set it to about the correct angle, and for the ZPS to work, it has to be touching the bar.

Last edited by MicJustMic; 04-26-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: For incorrect advice.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Mic, EZ's are not angled. The baseplate is parrallel to the knife so it sets up flat when floating.

With the ZPS the ZPS controls the angle, that's just the way it is, no matter how much it's angled.
Okay, sorry, misinformation. Every one I've seen has looked a bit angled up so I assume that's just where the ZPS had the bridges.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 PM

And I assumed it had a slope, not as steep as the OE... I sit corrected.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:

I'd think they would have incorporated an adjustment on the ZPS itself to adjust the angle when it's installed... I guess either it wasn't practical (perhaps too complicated), or just too expensive to implement.

Either those, or the engineers just didn't think of it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Vendor

I'm sure they just expected perfect routs every time
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they just expected perfect routs every time
Oh yeah... THAT happens... LOL

Tags
edge zero problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode