Edge zero e standard tuning on heavier strings - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Edge zero e standard tuning on heavier strings

I have always played 9-42 strings, but recently thought heavier may sound better. I've bought 10-46 regular sliknies and my rg 2550z seems not to accept them. I'm trying to tune i e standard but even when I set the max spring tension bridge bends like I'm doing a slight dive bomb and action is like 3mm. Has anyone ever achieved the proper edge zero ballance and low action using heavier strings than 9-42 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Re: Edge zero e standard tuning on heavier strings

Hi, youŽll probably have to either, add an extra spring or, get higher tension (shorter) springs to accomadate the extra tension caused by the pull of higher gauged strings. I personally use 11-48 slinkies with 2 high tension and 2 normal tension springs and a german made trem setter, I can't remember the name of it after the beers I've had today....

Nelson
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

unfortunately edge zero has only 2 spring slots. I'll think about higher tension springs. Anyone knows examples of tighter springs than stock edge zero ones ?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:54 AM

Hi yes I believe I am facing the same problem with my rg350. Where can I get heavier springs for my edge zero so I can run 10-46 strings?

How do you guys solve this problem when you run heavier strings on an edge zero II?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 AM

I use 10-46 on my RG2550z with the original springs and it works fine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 AM

does it still flutter?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:47 AM

seriously, I would rather ibanez would supply a different gauge tremolo springs than to crank up that thumb screw with the present stock tremolo springs with 10s gauge strings.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 PM

Regarding the springs, I know that you can order higher tension springs for the zps system (this usally sits stock on 7 string guitars that have the zps).

As for the flutter, what do you mean by that?

Is it flutter as in when you hit trembar quickly and then the notes warble for a while or as in the bridge does tiny dives when you play hard?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Vendor

Part of the restriction of the ZPS unit was a lack of adjustability. There are 3 springs available, stock, 7 string, and EGEN, which I haven't figured out which of the later are higher tension.

Tags
edge zero , gauge , heavy , strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode