Edge Zero and Edge Lopro question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jemsite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Edge Zero and Edge Lopro question

Hey folks, its been quite a while since ive posted on here, just been super busy with life these last few years. Now that Im at a point in my life where i can start gettings toys and customizing toys, Ive been swarming with questions. Mainly because what i want to know hasnt really been answered et so ill try to ask my questions as precisely as possible.

after playing every neck, and trem units that Ibanez has to offer, Ive found that the one that feels the absolute best to me is an Edge LoPro (this is not debateable with me, ive put in the work to form my opinion). So as Im begining to "build" my custom guitar, I was wondering if i could save some time before diving head first in to things... so here goes.

So Ive narrowed my tonewoods down to exactly what i need, mahogany or mahog w/maple top combined with a PRS Tremonti Treble bridge pup. I bought a Ibanez RG2770Z, and shes an amazing guitar. But she has one flaw, the Edge Zero trem. At first I liked them but after playing them for a while consistently, Ive found that i really prefer the feel of the Edge LoPro instead.

Let me go ahead and say this now, AT NO POINT DO I NEED MY TREMOLOS TO FUNCTION LIKE A NORMAL TREM. I always fix every trem i ever play, so when I say im swapping out trems, Im not doing it with the intent of using the trem for dives and pulls. so heres my question. Ive seen it done on Jemsite where a guy replaced his Edge Zero on his Prestige RG with an original Edge trem, so would I in turn be able to install a LoPro Edge instead of my Edge Zero? I DO already understand that i would need to remove the posts, fill the holes with something and then re drill holes for the post spacing on the lopro, since its post spacing is 5mm different. But would that be it for me if im not worried about using the trem traditionally? Basically, once the posts holes are drilled and i can drop the Edge Lopro in, the plan is to string it up to give me some tension, then place a block of wood in the body between the trem block and the bodyso that the tension from the strings when tuned will exert enough pressure to keep the block in place.

Does anyone see any issues with this plan? Remove all Edge Zero hardware, fill holes in, measure and redrill holes, drop in studs, drop in trem, use block to hold trem in place? I would really prefer to only have to pay $400 for the trem and do the work myself, then to have to try and find a Prestige RG with a mahogany body and an Edge LoPro to swap my neck out with. Ive finally got the tone ive always wanted (its actually a little too bright, next guitar will be mahogany only) which is mahogany/maple with the PRS Tremonti Treble bridge pickup, Ive got the neck that i love the feel of , with the offset dot inlays.

My other idea was to try this: Buy an Ibanez RG6UCS, then find a Mahogany body with an Edge LoPro route to buy and swap out the basswood body with. I also want to try to get an Ibanez RGD2120, and see if I can send it to Ernie at ET guitars to have him create a replica of the body in Mahogany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Edge Zero and Edge Lopro question

Square peg meet round hole. I vote to veto your plan

Life experience has taught me the best solution is always the simplest one. Always, without fail.

Do you have to have an Ibanez? You can't learn/adapt to playing a hardtail axe? That opens up many more & better buying choices. I humbly suggest you consider them and can pretty much guarantee you'll be happier in the long run
Tone Meister likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Square peg meet round hole. I vote to veto your plan

Life experience has taught me the best solution is always the simplest one. Always, without fail.

Do you have to have an Ibanez? You can't learn/adapt to playing a hardtail axe? That opens up many more & better buying choices. I humbly suggest you consider them and can pretty much guarantee you'll be happier in the long run

Thank you very much for your input. Heres a little deeper explanation as to why im stuck onto what im stuck on. I have played multiple USA made PRS Customs and Standards, ESP Extended scale guitars, Jackson DKMG series, Schecters, and numerous other random guitars that have come my way.

the PRS bridges are garbage to me for my hand. i hate their feel for the same reason i hate most hardtails, the saddles dont sit level, they arch like the body does. Their necks are too thick for my hand, the best one ive felt was their Wide-Thin, but even when i am comfortable with their necks' thickness, when it comes to their radius, there arent any that are 430mm. This is the same for every other model listed above, the neck radius.

This is the same reason that I cannot stand playing any production model Ibanez guitars. There are many production model Ibanez guitars that meet my needs, for everything except for their radius. Even at 400mm which is the production and premium model radii Ibanez use, the Prestige level and Jcustom levels are the only ones equipped with 430mm necks. I havent tried transplanting a prestige neck onto a production model Ibanez yet. I have a very nice production model, an Ibanez RGA72TQMZ that literally just gathers dust because of the neck radius. If I dont like how a guitar feels, im not going to want to play it for 6 hours at a time. So even if i can successfully transplant a prestige neck onto a production or premium model Ibanez, im still left with the issue of the trem and how my palm feels against it. The RGA has an Edge Zero II, and my RG2770Z has an Edge Zero. THeir saddles feel very close to an Edge LoPro, but their string spacing is different/wider. The only trem that feels good to me is an Edge LoPro. I also require a trem because of the fine tuners, it cuts my retuning time considerably.

My required body wood has to be Mahogany with an Edge LoPro, because I know what pickups to put in it to achieve my desired tone. I can't use basswood because I cant find a set of pickups that will achieve the same tones that i can get with mahogany + Tremonti Treble (or a Seymour Duncan JB, they are equals in my eyes for being my #1 fav), so that eliminates a whole hell of a lot of my options. Alder gives me the same results as Basswood just with more highs. Ash sounds hollow to me.

The absolute best feeling 6 string ive played was an RG3120, which was mahogany+maple, and an Edge LoPro. The neck was incredibly thin and hurt to play, but it was the best BODY+PALM feeling of any guitars ive played. Best feeling guitar Neck wise is my current neck which is the
Wizard HP Prestige 20102018 648mm/ 25" nut:43mm body:58mm thick 1st:18mm thick 12th:20mm radius:430mmR/ 17", but really any nowadays prestige necks are comfortable as long as they are 430mm radius.

So I am trying to piece together this creation in the most cost effecient way possible.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

And to explain what kind of tone i am trying to achieve, is easiest by relating it to an artist(s). A combination of the tone on Chevelle - This Type Of Thinking(Will Do Us In), and the tone on Breaking Benjamin - Phobia album. Both are tuned to Drop Bb/A#, and use PRS Customs/Custom Baritones made out of Mahogany/Maple, with Chevelle using a PRS HFS bridge pickup, and I dont know what pickups Ben has in his Prs's. The only reason I am currently using a PRS Tremonti Treble model was because Mark's Creed tone had always been my favorite and I had heard that it could work well with drop tunings so I bought one and have been using it for about a 2 months now, about 4-6 hours of play a day. However with a guitar with a maple top, ive found ive had to really roll a lot of my highs off to get my tone out of this pickup so I may end up switching it out for an PRS HFS bridge, or a Seymour Duncan JB. I wouldnt want to get rid of it because if i can find a just mahogany body without the maple top id be anxious to try it in that since it would not have as much highs.

If I could get an Ibanez RG2020x, and could get my neck to fit on it, i would literally have my dream guitar. Double edge lopro, mahogany body. Piezo + mahogany body to throw the Tremonti in. Granted, Ive looked at the specs of the RG2020x and it says it has an "Ultra" neck, which by the stats, says its 2mm less wide than my current neck, and it is 1.5mm thicker than my current neck. Ive never played a RG2020x personally yet so I cant say whether that neck would work for me, but its high up on my to do list. Funds are just tight and they dont come up often

My eternal torment is that while i can very easily achieve this tone I want out of a Mahogany guitar with or without a maple top, but no matter what pickups Ive tried in my basswood RG2610Z, I cannot achieve that same tone or even close to it. It pisses me off because there are a lot of great basswood guitars out there that Ibanez has made but if i cant get my desired tone out of that wood, im lost.

I should probably include the string gauge i use because it is unusually light. 12-54 for Drop A#, and 10-48 for Drop C. I use a 21w third on Drop A# and a 18w for Drop C. Love the way it sounds palm muted as opposed to plain strings.

Last edited by soldierkahn; 05-15-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Tags
edge lopro , edge zero , ibanez , lo pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode