edge zero help please - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
edge zero help please

Hey gents, I'm looking for some advice on how to set up the Edge Zero bridge properly to get the most stability out of it (allowing me to bend strings without others going flat). I have 2 guitars with the EZ trem and I really like the trem because of its stability in terms of letting me bend strings without others going flat like they would on a traditional floating trem. I can get a full step bend and the other strings stay pretty stable...with a 1 1/2 step bend or more I can start to hear the other strings going a bit flat - but this is still a vast improvement in terms of stability over the original floating trems on my other Ibanez guitars.

The other day I thought I would try taking out the stop rod and sub-springs to see how it performed as a more traditional style floating trem and it did very well. However, when I put the stop rod and sub-springs back in it didn't go back to the stability that it had originally.

So I read in the manual about turning the adjustment knob to get the trem angle right, which I did but when I got the angle of the trem right parallel to the body the stop-rod wasn't providing the stability that it should so I tried turning the adjustment knob more to try and adjust the stop-rod position but then the angle of the trem wasn't right and I still wasn't getting the stability that I had originally... =[ I started to get frustrated with it so I left it last night and will try adjusting again tonight but I'm wondering if I'm not doing something right.

Any thoughts, experiences, advice, etc. is much appreciated =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Banned

Re: edge zero help please

Ahh you should have shot pics and measured all distances before the mod, before you removed the stop rod and sub-springs. Did you move any claws or tightened any spring while in free full floating mode? Can you image google for EZ guitars setup right ? Unfortunately I dont have this trem. But don't worry, you'll find a way, besides the wheel I dont find anything else adjustable.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

I guess I could have taken pics but it seemed like such a simple thing to take the stop-bar off...in the Ibanez youtube video about EZ trems it seemed simple. I did not move the claw or touch any other springs.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM

Reviews: 2

Are the stop bar springs seated fully on their posts? What happens if you flip the stop bar assembly over and re-attach (upside down)? Is the felt pad still attached to the trem block? Are the ends of the stop bar fully seated in the "V-groove"? It it possible that the stop bar holder moved while you were removing it?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

yup, I checked all of that closely - the stop bar springs are on the posts properly and the felt pad is where it should be and stop bar is seated in the V groove. I messed around with it more last night and it is apparent that the position of where the stop-rod rests against the stopper is the key to getting the stability - however, when I move the adjustment knob to the point where the stop-rod seems to be at the right spot with the stopper to give the trem the stability then the angle of the trem is then not where it should be parallel to the body... I got it to a better place last night but it's hard to tell when you're at the right spot when moving the adjustment knob...and I also don't understand why the angle of the trem seems off when I seem to get the stop-rod adjusted to the right spot... =o[
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 2

I don't know how an EZ is supposed to look when "level". Is the baseplate supposed to be flush to the body like an OFR, or "tail-high" like an Edge/Lo-Pro?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I don't know how an EZ is supposed to look when "level". Is the baseplate supposed to be flush to the body like an OFR, or "tail-high" like an Edge/Lo-Pro?
I think it's supposed to look like this:

and the manual says this:

The Edge-Zero and ZR2 tremolo are designed so that the tremolo unit sits roughly parallel to the surface of the guitar body by adjusting the zero point system correctly. This ensures optimal performance. Tuning is completed when the zero point system is adjusted to the correct position. If the remolo is roughly parallel to the surface of the body, the stop rod contacts the tremolo block and the stopper

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/english/2.pdf

which is why I don't understand why when I set mine parallel then the stop-rod doesn't seem to be in the right place and vice versa. I'm gonna have another look at it tonight. Maybe I will take some photos so I can show you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 PM

I'm no expert, but on my RG3XXV the trem doesn't sit perfectly "level" when it just starts to contact the stop bar and there is no way to adjust where the stop bar comes to rest in it's slots. When I asked Rich about this, he said whatever point the trem is at when the block contacts the stop bar is pretty much where you have to call your trem "level". That being said, it seems like I can change the tension of the main springs with the knob quite a bit with the trem block still contacting the stop bar and the stop bar resting in it's felt slots. Personally, I adjust the main springs with the knob so there is they are as tight as possible and the block just barely resting on the bar. This makes the trem pretty stiff, but makes it very stable for bends.

I think a person could get creative and change the "level" spot of contact between the stop bar and trem block though. By either attaching a shim to the trem block or adding heat shrink tubing to the stop bar. (At least that would work in my case, as the fine tuners are up higher than they should be with mine at the point of contact, in a very slight dive)

If the back end of the trem is too low, I think you could add epoxy or something to the notch where the stop bar rests... or maybe add a bit of shrink tubing to the ends of the stop bar... just a thought.

In the end mine works just fine, so I did the intonation with the trem in the position of first contact. Even though it is not perfectly level, and it seems stable.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Vendor

Level free floating is as the manual says, parallel with the top. Setup with the ZPS in is wherever the block meets the bar, which can be level on some [parallel] but there's no guarantee some are even close.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I can change the tension of the main springs with the knob quite a bit with the trem block still contacting the stop bar and the stop bar resting in it's felt slots. Personally, I adjust the main springs with the knob so there is they are as tight as possible and the block just barely resting on the bar. This makes the trem pretty stiff, but makes it very stable for bends.
It doesn't seem like an exact science because, like you say, you can change the tension of the main springs quite a bit with the knob while the trem block is still contacting the stop bar.

I like the trem stiff and I want it stable for bends - mine seems pretty good but there is still some play when I bend so that is what I am trying to do is figure out where the optimum point of stability is...but I'm not 100% clear on what you are saying - you adjust the main springs so they are as tight as possible with what? If you turn the knob until the springs are as tight as they can get then the stop bar wouldn't be touching the stop rod? Do you have a photo you could share so I could compare yours with where mine is? Also, how much bending stability are you getting with that setup? Can you do a full step bend without the other strings being affected?

sorry if I'm being high maintenance here - I'm just trying to gain a clearer understanding of how to achieve optimum stability with the EZ bridge...

Last edited by doriangrey; 02-23-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 03:34 PM

No problem... I have trouble putting thoughts into words anyway. My brain isn't wired right.

I should have said - I adjust the main tremolo springs as tight as possible with the block still touching the stop bar.

As you mentioned, there is a fair amount of adjustment in the knob and main springs with the trem block remaining in contact with the stop bar... I just tighten the springs with the knob until the tuning just starts to go sharp, then back it into tune again. My attempt to have as much tension as possible on the trem to counteract bends. I think I can get a clean full step bend, but not 1 1/2... though I'll try later when I get home.

I've only had this guitar and bridge for a few months, but the stability is awesome.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I just tighten the springs with the knob until the tuning just starts to go sharp, then back it into tune again. My attempt to have as much tension as possible on the trem to counteract bends.
That makes sense - I didn't actually think of it that way exactly but that seems like a sound and logical approach. I was just adjusting until the rod hit the block but I will try your approach and see if that adds any stability. Cheers!

Tags
edge zero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode