Edge-Zero II -7 bridge w/ZPS3Fe swap tremolo arm - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Edge-Zero II -7 bridge w/ZPS3Fe swap tremolo arm

Because of trouble I would like to swap tremolo arm and arm socket on my Ibanez rg827. I need some advice which one to buy.I think to buy Schaler tremolo arm with arm socket, but I don't now if it will fit on this tremolo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Banned

Re: Edge-Zero II -7 bridge w/ZPS3Fe swap tremolo arm

floyd arms and EZ-II arms are not compatible for sure. Not sure about the sockets. But I guess you know that.

How about getting the original socket : http://shop.ibanez.com/p/2trx5bd007-...-zero-ii?pp=24
And get the original arm as well : http://shop.ibanez.com/p/2trx5bd001-...-zero-ii?pp=24
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for links. But I would rather like to chose schaler if can fit in. Like this guy on his Lo Pro Edge.
sevenstring.org/forum/luthiery-modifications-customizations/225980-how-do-trem-arm-swap-lo-pro-edge-uv7bk.html
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 AM
Banned

I see, so someone which has all three (lo-pro, EZ II, schaller) should report back with the numbers in length/height, and diameter of the arm socket/housing.
The EZ II-7 arm is thicker, I like this better than my floyds. I cannot see where the schaller is superior.
Anyways, you don't have nothing to loose. Best case it will fit as is. Otherwise, either you'll need some washers to accommodate for the smaller outer diameter of the schaller, or worst case you'll need to open up the plate a little more to accommodate for the slightly larger outer diameter of the schaller.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:53 AM

Reviews: 2

FWIW, my schaller (JT580) arm screws onto my EZ-II nice and tight. It has a good positive feel to it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:55 AM

BTW.... I don't really want to, but for the interest of "guitar science" I'll see if the schaller socket fits the EZ-II tomorrow.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
FWIW, my schaller (JT580) arm screws onto my EZ-II nice and tight. It has a good positive feel to it.
My Floyd Rose Original's (1997) arm's inner thread is narrower than my EZ II-7's. Floyd Rose II's (1990) arm (being interchangeable with OFR) is also narrower than my EZ II-7's. I guess your schaller is a different/newer design?

Last edited by panix; 05-18-2015 at 04:34 AM. Reason: I meant narrower, not larger :(
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
My Floyd Rose Original's (1997) arm'is larger than my EZ II-7's. Floyd Rose II's (1990) arm (being interchangeable with OFR) is also larger than my EZ II-7's. I guess your schaller is a different/newer design?
I tried two different Schaller arms- 1990 and 1993. Both are from the JT580. One is on a '90 Jackson soloist and the other is a '93 Charvel Predator. They both screw on great.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 AM
Banned

Dont know about that particular Schaller of yours. But I know that my OFR arm's inner threading diameter is smaller than my EZ II-7's. Would not even screw.

As can be seen (photos show EZ II-7 vs OFRs) those two are totally different designs. I fail to see how a Schaller (supposedly the maker of OFR) can be interchangeable with the EZ-II's arm. Another theory might be that EZ II arm/socket is different than EZ II-7. Which is smth I would not bet for, judging from the parts catalogue.

Last edited by panix; 05-18-2015 at 03:12 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:58 AM
Banned

Here are the two holes side by side, the difference in diameter can be seen by eye :

Just measured the outer thread diameter :

Floyd rose : 8.7mm
EZ II-7 : 9.7mm

No way can they be interchangeable. Don't know the case with Schallers, but info is all over the net that they and floyds are the same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode