Edge Zero II advice - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Edge Zero II advice

Bonjourno my fellow 'anezers

Brief history on me. I am special. OK - not that special... been playing blah blah years on and off. Just started playing again after a 10 year break (sold all my gear in that time, rebought it now)... prior to giving up, I had guitars such as the Jem7VWH (Thanks Rich), JS1000BTB (Thanks Rich), RG3120VV, RG2820 to name the higher end ones. They all had the glorious Lo Pro.

I now own 2 guitars; Yamaha Pacifica 311H and an RG6PCMLTD... which brings me onto the problem...

My RG6 uses the good 'ol Edge Zero II bridge with ZP3 (yaaay back on track)...
I currently have the ZP3 installed BUT I am going to be talking about having it removed and the issues...

1. The trem feels stiff when using it WITHOUT the ZP3 gubbins installed - to the point it feels like it will pull the bridge out! Not smooth and easy like the Lo Pro. Is this normal?
2. When using the trem arm, it has the screw in tension nut... when I adjust it to the perfect looseness of the arm (easy to push out the way, but stiff enough to stay in place) and pull up, I can hear a little metallic 'ting' from inside the trem arm holder. I am guessing the arm is moving a tiny bit inside the housing. if I screw it in as hard as it will go, it is perfect but then the arm is hard to move. Not nice. Stupid trem arm. I have tried adding some tape to the end of the trem arm, but alas... the hole is quite tight and pushing the tape up so it doesn't actually help. Any ideas?

I know, I know - people are going to say "You should have bought Japaneeeeeese maaaaaaaaaaan - got a reaaaaaal trem" - reality is... I am like a magpie. I like shiny things. The RG6 was bought 2nd hand for a bargain. The nearest Prestige was gonna cost me $520 more (Unless it is dead mint, I am not a fan of buying 2nd hand so prefer new) and it was boring looking... no SS frets, no luminous side dots, no copper cavity areas etc...

Someone also said the thumbwheel on the back also acts differently, depending on if the ZP3 is installed or not - without the ZP3, it is essentially the same as screwing in the claw to zero the bridge back... with it installed, it tightens the trem? How easy is it to block off the trem completely so it is more like a fixed bridge?

PS - I am using normal .009 - .042 strings...

Thanks chappies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Re: Edge Zero II advice

I fixed the loose arm. Used a thin rubber band, slid it over the bottom of the arm and pushed it up until it is near the tightener. The movement was at the top of the tightener bit - so now it is beautifully in place

Also found I would hear a creak when pushing down and pulling up on the bar... narrowed it down to the locking nuts, so tightened them down - whammo no more creaking. Before this, the guitar would go out of tune whenever I pushed down/pulled up and let it return to natural position. My Polytune 2 shows it perfect now.

I've left the ZP3 system in simply because urm... I did lol

Tags
bridge , edge zero 2 , edge zero ii , ibanez , zp3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode