Edge Zero II Saddle Vibration - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Edge Zero II Saddle Vibration

Hey guys, I recently picked up an RG927 with the EZII + ZPS. I have buzzing when I play the open high B string. This happens whether I have it clamped at the nut or with the clamps removed. It will also buzz with fretted notes but the vibration is still coming from the saddle. It's not fret buzz but a rattle that comes from the saddle. Today I removed the high B string and put on a new one. But before I did that, I removed the saddle and the holder block just to make sure nothing was wrong with them. I put them back in and put on a new string. After I tuned to pitch, the vibration was gone for literally 2 or 3 minutes. Then, it came back. I'm pretty frustrated by this. I'm going to remove the E, B and G and the saddles as well just to get a better look but I think it's related to the saddle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM

Re: Edge Zero II Saddle Vibration

I had a floyd rose 2 that used to do that. Now, when I had this and I tried to fix the problem i was only 13, so don't make fun haha. I had the same issue. Mine was the D string though. Now I forgot what i used, but I actually put shims on both sides of the saddle and it keep the saddle still and it quit vibrating for a few a while. I eventually bought another saddle, then sold the guitar. Kinda funny, I haven't seen a floyd rose 2 in a while. So, My suggestion is buy another saddle, or another trem. I have two Edge Zero 2's and they hold up just fine. I must have got lucky :P
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 PM

Before you give up, try this...

Switch/swap that saddle with another adjacent one. In other words, remove your B and E (or B and G, doesn't matter) strings, and literally swap the two saddles then restring as normal. Don't laugh, it just might work due to the difference in string size, vibrating frequency, etc.

If that doesn't work, keep swapping saddles and you might eventually find a magic combo that finally eliminates the rattling.

Last edited by webmaestro; 05-14-2013 at 11:30 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Will try that. Thanks guys.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Swapped the B saddle with high E saddle and nothing changed. The high B saddle still vibrates somewhere. I'm thinking about bringing it to an authorized repair dude. This sucks because I can't fix it myself.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Reviews: 120

If it's a new guitar under warranty just take it back and get it sorted sooner rather than later. If there is a faulty part on the guitar it should be covered free of charge.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm probably going to do that. I have changed the pickups since I got it but the warranty is good so long as no alteration is responsible for the defect.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Took the bridge apart today and put it back together. No dice. I have the feeling that the tech will strike out as well. It's warranty work so it's not like they're going to throw any real time into it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CudBucket View Post
Took the bridge apart today and put it back together. No dice. I have the feeling that the tech will strike out as well. It's warranty work so it's not like they're going to throw any real time into it.
Yeah, best to just get it fixed under warranty. You really shouldn't have to be dismantling a new guitar to try and fix a problem. For the tech, it's really just a matter of ordering a new saddle and swapping it, so you'll be all set after that.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I'll probably do that next week. In the meantime, I'm going to keep tinkering. I exchanged emails with one of the authorized techs and he said that there is a certain about of bridge noise that Ibanez considers normal as long as it isn't heard while amplified. That makes me feel like he'll probably bail on it eventually and I'll have to live with it. After having the bridge apart, nothing looks defective so...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

I know this post is almost a year old but I've only just resolved this issue and thought I'd share the fix. It had nothing to do with the bridge or the saddle. I then was "sure" I had a loose truss rod and was about to apply Chair Loc to the truss cavity to fix it. But in one last attempt to find anything loose on the guitar at all, I discovered that the high E tuner's lock nut was loose, allowing the washer between it and the headstock to vibrate. The rattle occurred whenever I played the open high B or an F# anywhere on the neck. Once I snugged up the tuner, the rattle/vibration vanished.

Tags
edge zero ii , saddle , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode