Edge Zero II Trem Arm Problems - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Edge Zero II Trem Arm Problems

I have an Edge Zero II bridge on my ibanez RG870 and the trem arm has an annoying play in it (it's loose and makes clicking noises inside trem holder) unless I screw down the top retainer thing really tight. At that point the trem arm movement is way too stiff for my playing style.

The other problem is during trem arm movement, over the time, the retainer will loosen on its own to the point where it is not screwed in to the trem arm holder at all.

Any suggestions? I was even wondering if it is possible to switch out the arm holder assembly with another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:57 PM

Re: Edge Zero II Trem Arm Problems

Same here on my new JEM 77P BFP - it's annoying as it seems a decent bridge otherwise.

I've tried plumbers tape around the base but it soon came loose. I think the real solution is to modify the arm with the second nylon washer at the base - like the Edge/Edge Pro/Low Pro.

I'll probably try this is shorty on a new arm unless anybody else has any ideas
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 06:25 PM

Not familiar with the bars on an EZII, but if they are made similarly, and with similar materials, to the way an E/EP/LP are made, then I don't see how modifying an EZII bar to have a bushing near the base would work. The E/EP/LP bars, both the metal and ultralite, have a coating (1-2mm) of either metal or carbon fiber, which surrounds a graphite core. I've broken many of both to see this.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Instead of trying to "fix" the Edge Zero II arm and arm holder I'm thinking about just replacing the entire arm holder assembly and trem arm.

Can anyone confirm if the Edge or Lo Pro arm assembly will fit in place of the edge zero 2 one?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 AM

Changing the arm holder If possible I would certainly consider, the torque adjustable top part is quite good though, it's really the bottom of the arm that seems too loose a fit.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

I decided to swap out the arm holder for an Edge/LP arm holder. I'll update everyone on the conversion once it's done. A local machine shop is making it happen as it was not a direct swap.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 02:50 AM
Banned

I have this problem as well.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:22 PM

When I had one, I flipped the washer around and it allowed for a tighter fit. I'm not sure if that was made by design or not though.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Well I said I'd update this thread... It turned out great, I just need to install it but I'm changing pickups and doing a full setup so it'll be a week before I have an update on the actual playability of the unit. I expect good things. I was trying to upload pics but I'm getting a "failed" error even though it is below size limit.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Still getting error for pics maybe someone can help out. Anyway, the machine shop drilled a slightly bigger hole on the top part of base plate so the edge arm holder sits flush and tight, then we used loctite and 2 bolts on the backside to really lock it in. Feels very solid and almost identical in terms of feel with my lo pro edge (note: I don't have the ZPS installed)
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Banned

^^ so all they did was to drill a slightly bigger hole?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Ya on the top half of the baseplate so it dropped in flush
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:57 AM

Did you just get a complete arm holder assembly? Do you have any part numbers for this.

To get some pictures up, use a image hosting site like http://snag.gy, upload and paste the links in your post.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilln2music View Post
Ya on the top half of the baseplate so it dropped in flush
couldn't you just enlarge this by your dremel?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Ya you can order the arm assembly from Rich over at Ibanez Rules. The machine shop had the tools to do it right and make it look professional.

Hoseki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode