Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Edge zero ii +zps3fe worth it? Or to simply to stick to the good ol' Edge/lo-pro/OFR

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  KennyV 
#1 ·
I saw this newer model of rg370... Always loved black on maple boards...and i am after a HSS/ HSH floyd equipped guitar..

It is nice that trem stopper is included...BUT- how good does it work?

My gut tells says to me to go old fashioned way with finding some of the renown trems.. edge/lopro/FR and eventually add a trested zero stopper mechanism (super vee mag lok seems to work very well..but probably kills flutter)
Feedback appreciated!

#2 ·
The RG370DX is an RG series solid body electric guitar model introduced by Ibanez in 2005. This model replaced an earlier version of the RG370DX which was produced in Korea; production moved to Indonesia for 2005.
The RG370DX features a basswood body bolted to a maple Wizard II neck with a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with white binding and sharktooth position markers. Components include Ibanez Infinity pickups with a pair of humbuckers mounted in pickup rings flanking a single-coil and an Edge III double locking tremolo bridge with a locking nut.
The RG370DXL is a left-handed version. The RG370DXFM is a similar model with a flamed maple top. A series of similar models with graphic prints were offered starting in 2007: RG370DXGP1, RG370DXGP2, RG370DXGP3 & RG370DXGP4.
For 2011, the RG370DXZ was introduced as a replacement for this model, featuring the new Edge Zero II tremolo. In the USA however, that guitar is sometimes still referred to as simply the RG370DX, as the Z suffix is ignored in some promotional material.

#4 ·
I found that mechanically it works great (RG370AHMZ), but ended up blocking it (with a wine cork on one side and zip ties on the other) which measurably improved both sustain and tone. Maybe this is because the tremolo block is just too small and light.
I am considering trying a brass replacement block from KGC.

Side question, anybody knows if I can use KGC block intended for non-ZPS zero 2, if I get rid of the ZPS rod and springs? My thinking is it looks even chunkier so should be even better?

#5 ·
If your looking for a great quality rg with black and maple, I'd say bump up to an rg550. You can get used ones for fantastic prices since the black body versions are the most abundant.

It will have much better construction, and if you get original v1 and v2 pickups, they just scream. The v7 and 8, not so much but world's better then the infinity or quantum they use on their cheaper lines.

Here's a pic of my 1990 I just restored.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

If however your looking for something new..

I would say that the 300 series is not worth it, and the 400 series is a bit better of a value in that range for new.

Personally any Ibanez branded tremolo that isn't an original edge or a edge pro, isn't really worth having.
Newer ones sound thin, and wear out faster imo.

Better to have an original Floyd or a Gotoh dropped in.

The only interesting feature on their newer trem is the trem stop, but you sacrifice Alot for it and can easily have that back with a Tremol-No for 50 bucks, and it isn't an intrusive swap. Works with standard trem claw swap with no new holes needed.

I'm going to install one on mine shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.