Edge Zero Not Staying in Tune Factory Settings - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Question Edge Zero Not Staying in Tune Factory Settings

Hey guys,

I am not a guitar noob but not truly a tech. I can't find a manual on Ibanez's website for the Edge Zero as of yet. I bought the Ibanez RG 3770z. Unfortunately the finish has failed already (not glossed so cracks easily).

The main reason however I am here is because the Edge Zero is NOT STAYING IN TUNE WITH THE ZPS3 INSTALLED. As soon as I hit the Whammy down to Dive, the strings are not coming back to the proper point. I believe tens are on this guitar and I have stretched them for about a little more than 3 weeks now. I know I am not going insane. I have other Ibanez guitars...one already with a ZR1, which stays in tune perfectly after crazy Herman Li moves. However...I am finding smaller dives and raises very difficult to come back into place.

I am pretty sure it isnt set up correctly. Can someone please help me?
I am a noob, but remember I have a working ZR trem that has returned to zero point NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.

This knife edge ZPS3 Edge seems to be a true issue.
Are there any suggestions before I have to get this set up.

I wish there was a straight manual for this damn trem system that I could find. Sigh. Can you guys please help? Anyone with installation experience/repair exp. with an EGEN or RG with a ZPS3 preferably and not one who has just tried it out.

Last edited by SidDManiac; 07-10-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 AM

Re: Edge Zero Not Staying in Tune Factory Settings

Take the ZPS out. It makes the guitar stiffer. It's much better without it, and I've had a few months so far with my Edge Zero.

And just in case, make sure your locking nut is properly locked. My guitar wasn't staying in tune after regular whammy abuse and it took me 3 months to realise that it came from meestursparkle with an unlocked nut...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:35 AM

Hey , i am planning to buy this guitar . Did the finish come off that easily?
Would it be a good buy?
I am open to rg3570Z but i love the finish on this one.
Please help.
Thanks.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:03 AM

Try dialing a bit more tension on the springs. Chances are your tension is not quite enough to pull the strings back into perfect tune
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

the ZPS is unnecessary take it out
it's fantastic trem without it
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:05 AM

Hi, have you installed the locking studs? It should stay in tune if setup properly. Removed the ZPS and level the trem with the body. After the strings are tuned, put the ZPS back and u'll notice that the trem block doesn't touch the ZPS bar, loosen the spring a bit until it touches the ZPS bar and make sure the strings are in tune. the ZPS bar is supposed to return the trem to its initial position when u dive and to keep u in tune when u bend the string, i found it similar to trem stabilizer, like backstop. however, I agree that ZPS makes the trem stiffer. you can take it out if you don't like it tho.
I'm no techie either. I'm just sharing some that i know. Peace.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys! To answer one person above me. Yea the finish is just one single coat and yea it has to be taken care of with tremendously careful hands. As for the spring tension, I've dialed it way up before. I am actually going to tighten the springs again. Still the same annoying issues. I'd love to take the out the ZPS3 and have it float, but I think I rather have a tech do that. :-/

Tags
edge zero issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode