Edward Van Halen D-Tuna Drop D Tuning System - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Edward Van Halen D-Tuna Drop D Tuning System

Hey just wondering if one of these will work with a LO TRS II bridge. Either that or an Edge Pro II as I'm planning to buy a new guitar soon. I'd prefer it on my old RG470 with the LO-TRS as I'll probably set the guitar up so the bridge is fixed anyway to keep in tune. I want to keep my new axe with the Edge Pro II floating so I can use the whammy completely.

All help or suggestions appreciated. There might be other Drop D tuning systems out there that will work better, I'm just having troubles finding them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:16 AM

Re: Edward Van Halen D-Tuna Drop D Tuning System

I'm just waiting for this product.

http://www.tremol-no.com/
it allows you to lock and unlock your floating bridge

when...WHEN!!!!
all this waiting! aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:35 AM

The D-tuna won't work at all with low-profile bridges like the LoTRS, LoPro Edge, Edge Pro, or Edge Pro II. You need a non-low-profile bridge like an OFR or Original Edge for it.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:18 AM

Im sure I tried installing mine on my edge equiped 550 a while back - it didnt fit. I may try again just to make sure I wasnt dreaming
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I didn't think it would be possible just by looking at the pics. It looked like the original Floyd design that was on the guitars.

I've been reading on this site about LO TRS II trem and how it's best replaced with an original floyd design, so I was thinking would the GOTOH GE1996TC LICENCED FLOYD ROSE bridge fit with no mods to my RG 470??
http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=5353

From what I can see in the pic there it's a similar design to the original Floyd so I'm hoping yes. Then I can hook up this little D Tuna, and have a backup axe that can do both tunings for my band's songs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:05 PM

I don't know why you'd buy that when you can get actual, real, Original Floyd Rose trems for half that price.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossingStar
I don't know why you'd buy that when you can get actual, real, Original Floyd Rose trems for half that price.
yeah and I believe half the time the acual Floyd stuff is better quality than 90% of the licenesed crap out there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

remember that's Australian dollars, not US dollars. And Gotoh has always been considered an excellent manufacturer of hardware for guitars. If I can find an original Floyd for less I'll get it, I'm just still looking, that was just an example.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I was doing a bit more of a search around the net and discovered the hip shot guitar extenders. Now I know I'd have to leave the locking off the E - A strings to use one of these, but have people used them and are they any good? How did you stabilise the bridge? Has anyone used the hipshot tremsetters along with this?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:59 PM

Okay, here's something that I know about! LOL! The D-tuna should fit any Floyd or liscensed Floyd. Also, in order for it to work properly, you can't have a floating bridge. I've tried the D-tuna on a few floating bridges and it throws the whole thing outta wack when you try to drop the E to the low D. Now, maybe if you have a Trem setter installed it might work, but I haven't tried it that way.

Good Luck!

Danny
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 11:46 AM

How is the D-tuna gonna fit a low profile bridge? I'm not positive how it works but it seems to work by wedging behind the fine tuners and gripping on the head of the saddle lock bolt. These are in completely different places with low profile trems. Completely switched around - there's no way for it to work.

Anyway, main thing is you'll need to have the bridge blocked. You can,a nd I think you should, leave the E and A strings locked at the nut like normal. I dont see why you would bother unlocking them honestly. If you want to get overly antsy about it you may want to tune the low E to Eb and then use the fine tuners and tune it up to E, and have it set to drop to D from there. But you'll have to be careful where you start out on the fine tuner to maintain most of your range. This is just to make sure the pressure behind and in front of the nut stays close to being the same. But I think it would be more trouble than it's worth honestly - why bother?

Also, if I were going to get a licensed Floyd that wasn't an Edge, I'd go with taht Gotoh one. Gotoh makes the Edge, I trust them to make that trem properly. I doubt it's made of TRS level pot metal so it would be fine.

Tags
floating bridges , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , floyd rose trem , hipshot tremsetter , pro edge , trem setter , tuning system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode