EL-34 power tubes. Recommendations please? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

EL-34 power tubes. Recommendations please?

I'm going to replace the power tubes in my Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 100w and would like some suggestions on what brand tubes to buy.

Also, I intend to buy a multimeter and bias the amp myself so if any of you have a link to a guide or feel like explaining it to me, please do so. I believe the setting for the JCM2000 dsl 100w is -90 mV but I'll definitely confirm that before I do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:13 PM

What tubes you choose depends on your playing style and tone really. If you give us a hint at what tone you want it may be easier to suggeest tubes.

Biasing a DSL or TSL:

There is a thing labelled "CON5" on my 401, although I think on some it may be callled a something different. Its simply three connectors, they are straight long pole type things (sorry I am bad at explanation) the centre one is ground and the outer two are positive for your multi meter! Simply adjust the trimmer "PR1" until you hit the values: (Caution go slowly! The adjustment is very sensitive!)
DSL50 45mV
TSL60/1/2 80mV
DSL100 90mV
DSL401 1.375V
TSL100/122 90mV
DSL201 .675V

(others added for others that may need it.)
pretty simple huh!

Regards
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm not really sure what kind of tone I'm looking for. I like to play metallica and iron maiden sort of stuff and I like to shred but I'm interested in studying some more melodic ways to play like vai and satriani.

If you can give me any advice I'd appreciate it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I hear the Svetlana tubes are really good. Anybody have any experience with the EL34 Svetlana's?

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 02:32 PM

I guess you would want medium to slow break up, yes? Since with metal type tones most gain is in the pre-amp. However you will want some break-up because Vai has a bit of break up going on.

In that case I would reccomend a Svetlana, since they are a bit slower at breaking up compared to say a Chinese type tube. They have a slightly rolled off top which may or may not be desireable for you. A sovtek WXT would also be a great choice, but doesn't have as much high end roll off and is not as "clear" sounding and the break up is more aggressive than smooth.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by power freak
I guess you would want medium to slow break up, yes?
What exactly is a slow break up? I mainly want something that sounds good clean at high volumes and has some good, thick distortion and tone.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem2k5
Quote:
Originally Posted by power freak
I guess you would want medium to slow break up, yes?
What exactly is a slow break up? I mainly want something that sounds good clean at high volumes and has some good, thick distortion and tone.
Power tube break up is when the amp is totally cranked, and even with low pre-amp gain you still get some distortion. Its "creamy" aounding and is visible on some of the earlier van halen records. A slow break-up reduces this effect. If you by groove tube rated tubes they have a rating system of 1-10 to choose break volume. I believe 1 is hard breaking and 10 is fast breaking up. Although I have never bought GTs so I am not sure.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

When do people usually prefer a fast breakup? I mostly play distortion (via amp distortion or pedals/effects) but I like my clean to sound good when it's cranked.

Tags
amp distortion , iron maiden , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode