Electric shock from a guitar - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Electric shock from a guitar

i was playing my guitar today and when i touched my microphone, I got an electric shock. It wasn't a big shock but surprised me none the less. I figure it happend cuz the microphone was acting as a ground.

Any way i can prevent this? Also note that when i'm not touching a metal part on my guitar, there's slightly more buzz than when i'm touching them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:55 AM

Get your earths check asap, and use an RCD to stop yourself getting fried

Best of luck

Rob
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 12:34 PM

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 05:11 PM

Interesting topic..

Besides my TC-Gmajor, all my guitar equipment is on adapters, so no ground connection. I think the TC has a ground thinggy on the connector, but unfortunatly, I don't have any grounded outlets in my guitarroom..
Any suggestions? (and yes, I know there is a potential diffrence between my strings and the 'ground'.. I've feld light shocks when I touched metal stuff).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

How can i tell if my guitar's grounded properly or not? I'm thinking if my guitar isn't properly grounded than no elecricty can reach me thru the strings right?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

And my guitar is a japanese made RG470. Altho the model num suggests its made in korea, this one's bit weird, because it has an edge pro bridge (not edge proII) and V8,S1,V7 pickups. Plus the tag had made in japan and a stamp printed on it. The buzzing stopping when i touch the metal parts of the guitar was present BEFORE i changed my pups.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:46 AM

The mic itself may also not be grounded properly...And if you don't use properly grounded wallsockets, go figure With the coolest equipment (favorably a big rack tower, without decent on-board grounding) you'd get all kinds of levels of pure unsaturable buzz... Always good for a laugh from my side.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
And if you don't use properly grounded wallsockets, go figure
Well, if you don't *have* them.........
I only have grounded sockets in my kitchen. I'm NOT moving my guitar stuff into my kitchen, if you don't mind, thanks so much.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:08 AM

they make adapters to ground plugs in ungrounded sockets. its basically a 2 pronged plug to go in the wall, and it has a socket on the back for a 3 pronged plug. there is then a ground wire that gets attached to the screw that holds the outlet plate on.

but thats assuming the outlet is properly grounded, and honestly i dont see how it cant be
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:13 AM

If the outletplate was properly grounded, it would be easy to install a proper type outlet. In my case, there are no ground wires (yellow/green) in the boxes. I don't have the equipment to pull those wires through my electrical system, and since it's a rental place, I'm not even allowed to do so. I can fake it, by hooking the ground up to the heaters, which I assume to be properly grounded (they should), but that's no guarantee.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 03:06 PM

when i'd play guitar in my parents garage (concrete floor), through my dad's UNGROUNDED 100w tube amp, all was peachy...

...until i dropped my pick. if i didn't want an electric shock, i'd have to take my fingers off the strings. if i forgot, i'd get a surly tingle in my fingers

grounding is the key. or, just shielding yourself. like, wearing shoes on a concrete floor while playing with ungrounded equipment
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 03:16 PM

I like the idea of wireless I read in one of the links (it would surely help with the cable fustrations), but...My old RG, when I played that thing, my dad could hear me on the radio.. Not that it was a hit or anything.. Just interference, I suppose and that too was ungrounded.

However, I can imagine that a wireless unit may also interfere on radio's or scanners and things like that. Any insights to that? Don't want to upset my neighbours...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:29 PM

do you suppose that the radio interference you caused was just because of unshielded wiring? cause i know if your cables arent shielded you can pick up radio stations on yuor amp... same thing in reverse or is that actually being ungrounded?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:54 PM

LOL, this happened to me in a studio one time, the shock hit my lips and my arm...Though it scared the crap out of me, it made some cool feedback :-)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:58 PM

I forgot to add that; Some people try to wrap foam around the mic stands to prevent this, though I'm unsure whether it works or not. I remember listening to an interview with Double Trouble, SRV's band, and they said that they tried so many things but they couldn't solve the problem, so once in a while Stevie got a zap off the microphone.

Tags
edge pro bridge , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode