EVH Striped Series: D-Tuna Problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

EVH Striped Series: D-Tuna Problem

Hey guys. Love this guitar and the sound I get from it, but I've had a problem recently.

When using moving the position of the D-Tuna, the other 5 strings go out of tune. Obviously this shouldn't happen, so I'm guessing that the bridge has somehow started floating? It does look like it is flat against the body though.

Doing dives as deep as I wanted used to be great, and it stayed perfectly in tune thanks to the locking nuts etc, but I have also been having problems where all the strings go sharp after I use the vibrato bar (while still locked).

I am using fresh .10s and have 3 springs in the back, and have tried tightening the claw to try and bring the bridge down, but any tighter and I am going to need an arm like Kane Roberts if I do dive bombs.

I have lowered the action to like insanely low and gradually raised it, testing at multiple levels but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

Any thoughts of what I could do myself before I gotta travel and take into the shop? The places in my city don't stock EVH and don't have much of a clue for Floyd related shizz.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: EVH Striped Series: D-Tuna Problem

The going-sharp-after-a-dive problem existed before I changed strings by the way :P I just did that to see if it made a difference. I used 9s before, and changed strings 2 times and the problem where strings going sharp from a dive persisted. Tried 10s to see if that made a difference, but I have not reintonated the strings yet, as I imagine I have more adjustments to make first.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Banned

Normally, after years of usage, what usually happens is worn knife edges which usually results in going flat after a dive, going sharp after a pull up. What you experience, going sharp after a dive, has happened to me with a floyd rose 2, and I could only explain this by uneven seating of the knifes in their stud grooves, one side (treble) went flat the other (bass) sharp. Maybe you have the same effect but all over the strings? Meaning your knifes are "reseated" somehow to make up for greater tension, and thus going sharp?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 PM

Thinking about what Panix said... Maybe if your springs are adjusted very tight its pulling the knife edges lower on the trem posts when you dive, and then pivot at a slightly lower point when returning to level?? Just a thought... I've never actually had a tremolo go sharp after a dive.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:41 PM

Tighten your locking nut - with a bit of wood shrinkage (there's a 'giggity' in there somewhere) the nut is probably micro-shifting on you.

While you're at it, check the other connective tissues; the neck screws, etc.

It should be pretty bullet proof, so I suspect it's going to be in there somewhere.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp93 View Post
Hey guys. Love this guitar and the sound I get from it, but I've had a problem recently.

When using moving the position of the D-Tuna, the other 5 strings go out of tune. Obviously this shouldn't happen, so I'm guessing that the bridge has somehow started floating? It does look like it is flat against the body though.

Doing dives as deep as I wanted used to be great, and it stayed perfectly in tune thanks to the locking nuts etc, but I have also been having problems where all the strings go sharp after I use the vibrato bar (while still locked).

I am using fresh .10s and have 3 springs in the back, and have tried tightening the claw to try and bring the bridge down, but any tighter and I am going to need an arm like Kane Roberts if I do dive bombs.

I have lowered the action to like insanely low and gradually raised it, testing at multiple levels but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

Any thoughts of what I could do myself before I gotta travel and take into the shop? The places in my city don't stock EVH and don't have much of a clue for Floyd related shizz.

Thanks!
I also have an EVH series and experienced the same problem! Correct me if i'm wrong but do the other strings is go out of tune when you actually pull out the D Tuna? The change in tension to the bridge when the D Tuna is dropping from "E"" to "D" is causing the other strings to go out. Here's how i fixed mine. Firstly i raised the bridge and got it completely parallel to the body, then fitted a backstop which i got from these guys http://www.chguitars.co.uk/tremolos/...stop-lock.html to stop any upward movement being applied to the floyd rose. Lastly i shimmed the neck to bring the action down. Stays in tune everytime when dropping from "E" to "D" and when doing dive bombs as the bridge always returns back to zero.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 PM

Part of me wants to say that's just what you get for being a righty who has one of my dream instruments available to them with relative ease...but the other part realizes I have nothing of use to contribute and just like reading threads.

Tags
claw , dtuna , evh , striped , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode