Evo7 vs. Blaze Custom? - My last question, I swear! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Evo7 vs. Blaze Custom? - My last question, I swear!

Okay, I've had my UV777BK for a couple years now, and as much as I love playing the guitar, I've never been particulary taken with the Blaze II in the bridge. It doesn't have quite enough a$$ for my personal taste. Sometimes, it even seems a bit muddy.

The question of the hour is, are there any Evo7 users out there? I really like the Evo6, but I recall hearing that the Evo6 and Evo7 are dissimilar.

Any Blaze custom users out there? I like the overall tone of the Blaze II's, so I'd expect that the Blaze custom would be somewhat similar.

Better yet, has anybody actually tried both pickups? (Yes, I'm always an optimist)

Thanks!
--Brent 'Newbie' Duersch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 02:27 PM

Evo7 vs. Blaze Custom?

Actually on Dimarzio's webpage you can look at the "stats" of both pickups and see that they are very similar. I love the EVo7 and highly recommend it. I had read some negative commentary on it but as far as my ears tell me, I love it. Plenty of hiney
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 02:34 AM

Evo7 vs. Blaze Custom?

Well, I can speak of the Blaze Custom. I've got a '91 UV7BK and, a few months ago, an RG7-620-GN; just before getting the RG7, I put a Blaze Custom into the UV, and was astounded by the effect. Enough so that it was the first thing that I did to the RG7, within days of purchasing it - I ordered the replacement pickup as I picked up the guitar itself, in fact.
Compared to the UV's Blaze in the bridge, the Custom has VERY much the same tone, but it's got a much hotter spike in the midrange, the net result being that it sounds much tighter, and to me (and my 'test ear' friends and such) holds together on the low end in a much nicer, smoother way. *It's a big, wide sound that works very well for my purposes, especially since it has quite a bit more output than the stock Blaze - BUT, retains a good deal of its timbre, which is so appropriate to the 7-String.
It also cleans up very nicely with a slight roll-off of the volume, and in split-coil mode (with the Blaze single, and in the combined RG-wiring scheme) works extremely well. It replaces a Blaze very nicely.
I get the impression that the Evo-7's emphasis is largely in the upper end, so if that's what you're after, that might be where you want to go. For me, the drive and the meat and the natural compression are all at the mid-to-upper-mid range, and that's the Blaze Custom's forté.
Hope this sheds some light.
=]
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Evo7 vs. Blaze Custom?

Tommy, Steve--

Thanks for the tips! Since I like the basic sound of the Blaze II, I might start out with the Blaze custom and go from there. Worst case is I don't like it, then I can hock it on e-bay and get the Evo7.

--Brent
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 01:06 PM

Evo7 vs. Blaze Custom?

Great choice either way. I have both and love both! Good luck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 03:04 AM

Evo7 vs. Blaze Custom?

Brent,
Funny you should say that... as I'm almost tempted to get an Evo-7 just to try 'er out for size...
=]
Happy hunting - I hope the Custom works out for you.

Tags
coil mode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode