Evolution vs Fred.... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Evolution vs Fred....

I want to change the bridge pick-up in my jem77 Fp... i'm looking for a high-output (quite screaming:-)!) one. So I'd like to know your opinions about these pick-ups or even other high-output ones.
Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:56 PM

Evolution vs Fred....

Sound like you want the Evo...Its awesome and full *of *power and scream. Fred is a "medium" output pu acccording to their standards.

You would not be disappointed with the EVO. You might also consider the Breed. But according to your prerequisites, the EVo is the way to go!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:38 PM

Evolution vs Fred....

The Evo, Tone Zone and Air Norton are all real nice pickups. The Fred, imo, sounds better in the neck.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:13 PM

Evolution vs Fred....

As a yard-stick I changed the Paf in my JS to a Breed (neck)
And the switch from Breed to FRED although distinctive is not as different a change as I would have liked.

The Breed although a warmer pickup than the FRED also has a higher output, so it tends to not make a switch to the bridge all that distinctive.

So I'd say go EVO.
You wanna' scream then thats the pup for you.

Just bear in mind that the FRED has a more even, flowing attack and not quite as harsh as EVO.

gl

Steve

(Edited by ripl3y at 12:16 pm on Dec. 22, 2000)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:55 PM

Evolution vs Fred....

I've got a guitar with a Breed pickup and I dig it. It's far more versatile than the Evolution, which I also have experimented with. The Breed can also scream, and it's ridicolously easy to get nice pinch harmonics with it. And you can get good sounds just by rolling back the vol knob.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Evolution vs Fred....

Thanks for your opinions.
My doubt about the breed is the following: does it mess up sounds when you play legato or sweep arpeggios?
I mean... isn't the Evolution a "cleaner pickup??".... i fear the breed could be a bit noisy...
I don't know.. Just wondering..
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:18 AM
DD

Evolution vs Fred....

If you play ONLY legato and sweep arpeggios the EVO is the pickup for you, if you want to play clean or vary your styles get a TONE ZONE or a Seymour Duncan JB or CUSTOM CUSTOM...

My 2 cents...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Evolution vs Fred....

I forgot another pair of questions....
First of all: the power and impact of the pickup depends more on the output level, or on the way the tones are set (i.e.: if the mids are boosted or things like that).
I mean... how much does the pickup Equalization affects its power??
And also what is the Dc Resistance, and in which way does it affect the sound??
Thanks again...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 12:29 AM

Evolution vs Fred....

I think a sweet combo would be a EVO in the bridge position and a Breed in the neck position. That'd be a killer tone for a guitar.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 08:43 AM

Evolution vs Fred....

If your legato playing or sweeps sound mushed with a Breed, it's not the guitar electronics you should be working on... Breed's articulate enough for me and that Vai dude, so I guess it'll work for you, too. When buying new pickups, don't go for one trick ponys, get stuff that give you more than one sound. *
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 10:18 AM

Evolution vs Fred....

Actually I WOULD NOT go with an Evo in the bridge. To me the Evo tone is WAY too harsh for my liking. I have 2 jems, a floral and a 90ham. I still stick to the warm articulate tones of my Floral, even my friends swear by it. The evo is truly a really high gain pickup, if you want a high gain pickup that's the one, but do be aware of the side effects of getting one.

And also from experience, I don't recommend you using the evo in conjuction with another pickup. Evos sound better with Evos, and breeds sound better with breeds. My friend has a RG550 stocked with a breed in the neck and evo in the bridge. He hates it.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 12:31 PM

Evolution vs Fred....

I've got a Breed in the bridge pos. and an Air Norton as a neck pu, and it works great. So that comment about 'mixing' pickups doesn't make sense to me.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 09:11 PM

Evolution vs Fred....

well maybe your friend just doesn't like the sound of the pickups themselves.....not the combonation of them. Besides what's not to like about that combo? You have a high output pickup for your bridge sound...and a softer sound for your neck. I think that's like...perfect.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Evolution vs Fred....

Thanks for your suggestions..... i've finally tried an evo and i think i will go for it...
Perhaps it's a bit harsh but also full of tone and character.
I'm still wondering about the DC Resistance anyway...... is there anybody that can tell me what it is exactly??
Thanks again....
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 01:37 PM

Evolution vs Fred....

yuza,
* * * *According to my DiMarzio brochure, the D.C. resistance of the Evo bridge pickup is 13.84K *

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , bridge position , dimarzio pickup , evo bridge , evo bridge pickup , neck position , output pickup , pinch harmonics , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode