Expert needed: neck plate finish crack or what? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Expert needed: neck plate finish crack or what?

Hey guys!

I took my Fender Stratocaster American Standard to get a set up with my local luthier. The guitar came with a crack in the finish (i think it's in the finish, im REALLY worried about this i would like your opinion). I think the guy used too much force with the screwdriver, here you got a couple of pictures that i uploaded:

http://imgur.com/a/XGkzi#McXJT

I think it dig into the wood and made the finish crack a little. Obviously, i wouldn't trust in that luthier anymore, so i took it to another professional luthier, who told me that the neck plate dig in the wood and caused this finish crack, he remove the neck plate just to check and the crack didn't expanded into the hole or anything. The Luthier said to me that i shouldn't worry about this, it just a aesthetic thing and it won't expand and it's just a finish thing, it wouldn't bring me any troube in the future.

This is the best strat i had, and i love it so much, i would like to have some answers of people that knows about this deal, im really afraid that this will expand or because the dip in the wood i will have trouble with the intonation or whatever, or being actually a crack in the wood.

Should i sent it to a professional to get that little section refinished and see if it's in the wood actually?

Many thanks in advance guys, really, kind regards an i hope you could help me.

Last edited by Mr Mojo Risin; 06-18-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 AM

Re: Expert needed: neck plate finish crack or what?

your are REALLY overreacting, looks like it's just the clear. and your local "luthier" is a really nice dude best thing would be to not do anything. Maybe loosen it a bit...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:26 AM

No reason for panic, this won't harm your guitar in any way.
It just not a pretty sight to have a finishcrack on your beloved guitar.

You can have it refinished if you like or make a spotrepair but this will NOT give you a 100% guarantee it won't happen again.

Cheers!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafigator View Post
your are REALLY overreacting, looks like it's just the clear. and your local "luthier" is a really nice dude best thing would be to not do anything. Maybe loosen it a bit...
Agreed! It's just a very small cosmetic issue--no reason to freak out like that. It happens, one of those minor issues we have to learn to deal with.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yes, i know its probably a very small finish blemish, but my main fear is that the neck plate dig a little in the wood (causing some very light bended neck plate), i guess it didnt crack the wood or anything but i would like to hear your opinion.

You know, its my first blemish in the guitar, and as you may know, the first its a real pain in the a$$.

Waiting for Rich and courtney2018 inputs also. Im sorry to be annoying about this deal but i really really love this guitar (if i didnt, i wouldnt worry so much).

Best regards and wish you luck.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Vendor

Unless you fully inspected it before you took it in I would suspect it was there before.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey rich! thanks for the input, yes, actually i inspected the guitar, it was only a month old so i usually keep an eye on it. I even inspected the guitar hours before i take it to the luthier (i was cleaning the body with a soft cloth as i usually do).

What do you think about the crack?

Thanks in advance!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Vendor

I'd accept the fact it has it now and you no longer have to worry about when it's going to get one.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Yes, i guess i just need to accept this little crack (its live with it or sell it), my fear is i dont know if the crack is in the wood or only in the finish, what would you say? if its a cosmetic issue with the finish, i really dont care.

Thanks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Vendor

Always assume it's in the wood, and that it won't amount to anything over the life of the guitar.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Reviews: 4

not to go off topic but.... does courtney2018 even come on here anymore?!?!?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 3

That happens to Fender guitars with Nitrocellulose Lacquer paint. If you tighten the neck plate enough, it could crack the clear coat. It may get worse especially if you can feel it.
You will get more unless you baby it. Ibanez guitars are Urethane. The don't really do that.
Hope this helps.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 11

Im not gonna lie. If I took my expensive guitar in mint condition to a luthier and got it back in any less condition.... Id be pretty furious, maybe pushing for a refinish...

Thats just me though, and I certainly wouldnt use that luthier again!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 AM

The backplate bended you say??

That doesnt sound/feel right to me.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

It's something common with fenders without gasket, the finish is pretty thin.

Last edited by Mr Mojo Risin; 06-18-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Tags
crack , finish , neck plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode