f-space question, and pickup combination question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

f-space question, and pickup combination question

u see i have a rg321mh, im thinking of whether should i get a f-space pickups or not. f-spaced pickups are for double locking bridge, how many ibanez fix bridge? does it need f-spaced pickups as well? im thinking of putting evolution in the neck, and steve special in the bridge, how about that configuration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:24 AM

Re: f-space question, and pickup combination question

f-spacing isn't required for any any guitar it is just recommended . i have 2 current ibanez guitars with dimarzios. One has the bridge f-spaced and one doesn't . neither of the neck pickups are f-spaced .

The pickup that isn't f-spaced preforms just as well as one that is . When i first bought the guitar it had a fred in the bridge . It was f-spaced . I swapped it for a super distortion that was f-spaced . Then i put a fred back in it that wasn't f-spaced . No cahnge in tone to me over the first fred . I noticed no difference at all.

As for your question either way you'd be fine , f-spaced or not . So whatever you find cheaper go with it .
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:09 PM

That really depends on the spacing between your strings on your fixed bridge guitar. But as jra2217 said it doesn't really matter if you get f-spaced or not. If you're not sure just get a regular spaced one.

Some people actually prefer the sound of a non f-spaced pickup (I know EVH did for a long time). Quite frankly I can't tell the difference (maybe 'cause I'm sloooooowly going deaf).
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:12 PM

No, EVH was sloooowwly getting drunk
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
No, EVH was sloooowwly getting drunk

i have to agree with you there , that guy's liver has to be kickin it'self in the nuts . That guy drinks way too much

Last edited by j.arledge; 02-12-2006 at 02:31 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:17 PM

I don't doubt you for a second there.. he probably was.. but hey.. it's Eddie, he's allowed to be an eccentric drunk.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
Some people actually prefer the sound of a non f-spaced pickup (I know EVH did for a long time).
Isn't that because F-spaced humbuckers didn't exist back then? I thought he was the first person to put a humbucker in a strat.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:58 PM

I think he was the first guy to put a humbucker in a strat. But I do recall reading in an interview, Ed preferred the sound of a non F-spaced/trem spaced/trembucker pickup on his guitars. I should really go bug one of his former guitar techs to check with that.

(but then again.. I don't think you can always trust what Ed says 100%)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:59 PM

The guys from Dimarzio say that you need F-spaced pickups in ANY Ibanez RG or other Super-Strat guitar because they are based off of the Fender Design instead of a Les Paul design. Honestly, I agree with the other guys here in that it probably won't matter all that much which one you get. Just get whichever ones are the cheapest and easiest to come by.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guy, got a clear idea about f-spaced stuff.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 AM

I think i'm going crazy.... even more confused... or drunk !!! F-SPACED ??? C'MON LOL
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

By the way, does other brands of pickups have f-spaced as well?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing
By the way, does other brands of pickups have f-spaced as well?
seymour duncan has em, but i think they're called trembuckers or something.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:09 PM

I doesn't matter all that much but I prefer an F spaced in the bridge and a regular spaced at the neck. I just like the way the strings line up nicely with them. I'm sure it makes little or no difference in sound.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:50 PM

I want to buy a evolution bridge for my RG, but they only have standar spaced versions... Should I buy it or not?

Tags
evolution bridge , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , guitar tech , ibanez guitars , les paul , locking bridge , neck pickup , neck pickups , seymour duncan , spaced pickup , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode