Factory Setups - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Factory Setups

First let me ask a questions. Have you ever bought a new guitar that out of the box (not including Richs guitars) that the factory set up kicked ass and needed no tweaking?\

I just got my new American Strat Deluxe QMT and the factory setup was horrible. Action to high, neck angle need adjustment, and nut shimmed too high. I did a perfect setup with the action and bridge etc. When to loosen the strings to get the shim out from under the LSR and the high E broke. Guess what I don't have a spare (smack).

I had similar problems with my RGT220A from Ibby. Can't post any picks of the guitar but damn it is purty. The Quilt Maple top is beautiful. Dependin on the angle of light you get differnt looks and it has that nice new geetar smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 PM

Re: Factory Setups

My EJ Strat, R7 and SG 61 RI come to mind.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
My EJ Strat, R7 and SG 61 RI come to mind.
So they had good setups out of the box? Dang, whoever did mine must have been on a all night crack binge.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Yeah, they were all special orders so they went from the factory to the store to me sealed. Im suprised about your strat, I worked for a Fender dealer for years and I can remember 1 time when we got something that I wouldn't out on the floor directly out of the box.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Yea I am not to worried bout it but I was curious. Just pissed I don't have a spare high E. I have two of every other one lol .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 PM

My ESP MII UC came with about the best setup anyone could ever ask for. I don't know what they did to that thing, but it was incredible.

Quite a few guitars I've bought have come with a pretty spectacular setup.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 PM

I picked up my 60th Anniversary USA Tele at our local Guitar Center - in mid/late 2007, mind you - and it was setup *perfectly*. Intonation, action, everything was exactly as I'd have set it up myself.

That's my only example. However, I have a theory that it was one of "those" guitars that everybody played and nobody bought (as it had some light scratches on the pickguard), so the techs probably set it up to make it more attractive. It was the only one they had in the store.

I bought a Takamine acoustic for a buddy at the same time so I got it for under a grand

FWIW, my '07 PRS Custom 22 and '08 Gibson LP Studio were close - intonation was spot on in both cases, but the action on each was too high (for my tastes) and I needed to tweak the pickup height on the Gibson to suit my tastes (that 498T/490R combo is a little tricky).

Last edited by kspeed; 07-02-2008 at 10:18 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 PM

My Strat was perfect when I bought it. But then I'm sure Gruhn sets up all their guitars before selling them. It's not like I was buying from Musician's Friend.

Tags
esp mii , neck angle , nut shim , pickup height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode