Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Feel of LoPro Edge 7 vs LoPro Edge 6 and other setup issues

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MicJustMic 
#1 ·
Question:

Is it just that my setup is incorrect, or does a LoPro Edge 7 feel really different than the six string version? I remember when a friend of mine has a Petrucci model, the bridge moved so easily and smoothly...Mine does NOT at all...I also have this sorta 'clunka-clunka' sound near the floating point of the bridge..can't really do subtle things..

Re: bridge height...the posts on both side should be at exactly the same height correct?

Re: bridge angle...Realistically where should I set it? I can either get it so that dive bombing is easy, but it dumps all really quick..Or I can get it to where I can pull up a bit, but it frets out at the end of travel...

Suggestions please!

If I cant get this to work with a nice new set of strings, and some patience, I'm giving up on this, and bringing it somewhere.

Help Please. :-/

-Matt

See less See more
#4 ·
No bushings will put it directly metal-to-metal, a fine recipe for even more clunking.
I'd have to say that's just not a good idea. The only thing I can think of is to use something like super-fine sandpaper or similar to take off some of the bushings' thickness, testing often, until it swings as easily as you like, and yet minimizing the metal-to-metal contact.

#5 ·
I've found that just pushing the bar in and out a lot will do the same thing.

After a week or two of pulling it out three or four times a day my bars swing free.

Personally I like them to stay put, and there's another thread somewhere that I asked for some help with this.

Mic

#6 ·
You can also lube it up with some 2 in 1 oil so that although the nylon bushings might still be exerting pressure against the inner wall of the arm holder, the bar swings freely inside the bushings. In other words, bushings stay put, arm swings. That way you'd still have noise reducing tension. The other thread mentions the Schaller type arm holder. It is great for tight tension, but the tolerances are usually pretty tight, so that even if you set it to swing loosely, the arm fits perfectly in the holder so you'd get a good feel on the up and down.

#10 ·
Ah yes, okay . . . NOW I get it. (I'm a little slow today)

I have a total of 10 (yes boys and girls, TEN) bars for two guitars at this point . . . so I've put them in new ones, old ones, new bars old guitars . . . so on, so on. :)

Yep, always a little shove is needed on those virgin bars/guitars.

Mic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.