Feel of LoPro Edge 7 vs LoPro Edge 6 and other setup issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Feel of LoPro Edge 7 vs LoPro Edge 6 and other setup issues

Question:

Is it just that my setup is incorrect, or does a LoPro Edge 7 feel really different than the six string version? I remember when a friend of mine has a Petrucci model, the bridge moved so easily and smoothly...Mine does NOT at all...I also have this sorta 'clunka-clunka' sound near the floating point of the bridge..can't really do subtle things..

Re: bridge height...the posts on both side should be at exactly the same height correct?

Re: bridge angle...Realistically where should I set it? I can either get it so that dive bombing is easy, but it dumps all really quick..Or I can get it to where I can pull up a bit, but it frets out at the end of travel...

Suggestions please!

If I cant get this to work with a nice new set of strings, and some patience, I'm giving up on this, and bringing it somewhere.

Help Please. :-/

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 06:16 PM

For the clunking noise, check the tightness of the arm holder, and then replace the hite nylon bushings. One of those two oughta do it.

Due to the added string tension of the low B, a LopPro 6 will definately feel looser than a 7.

-Drew
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 06:38 PM

Is there any way to remove that clunking you get with no bushings on? (for sloppy bar play)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 08:34 PM

No bushings will put it directly metal-to-metal, a fine recipe for even more clunking.
I'd have to say that's just not a good idea. The only thing I can think of is to use something like super-fine sandpaper or similar to take off some of the bushings' thickness, testing often, until it swings as easily as you like, and yet minimizing the metal-to-metal contact.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 09:30 PM

I've found that just pushing the bar in and out a lot will do the same thing.

After a week or two of pulling it out three or four times a day my bars swing free.

Personally I like them to stay put, and there's another thread somewhere that I asked for some help with this.

Mic
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:45 AM

You can also lube it up with some 2 in 1 oil so that although the nylon bushings might still be exerting pressure against the inner wall of the arm holder, the bar swings freely inside the bushings. In other words, bushings stay put, arm swings. That way you'd still have noise reducing tension. The other thread mentions the Schaller type arm holder. It is great for tight tension, but the tolerances are usually pretty tight, so that even if you set it to swing loosely, the arm fits perfectly in the holder so you'd get a good feel on the up and down.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 01:17 AM
Vendor

Sometimes you'll get a new one that has so much [extra] grease in the holder a new bar won't stay where you put it [after the gorrila slams it into the hole because that's always the most fun on a new bar]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
[after the gorrila slams it into the hole because that's always the most fun on a new bar]
Okay, you lost me on that one Rich . . .

Mic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Vendor

You ever try to get a new bar into a new guitar?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:56 PM

Ah yes, okay . . . NOW I get it. (I'm a little slow today)

I have a total of 10 (yes boys and girls, TEN) bars for two guitars at this point . . . so I've put them in new ones, old ones, new bars old guitars . . . so on, so on.

Yep, always a little shove is needed on those virgin bars/guitars.

Mic

Tags
arm holder , bridge angle , petrucci model , pro edge , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode