A few problems - got my jem now i have some questions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

A few problems - got my jem now i have some questions

Well a jolly old fat man was kinda enough to bless me with a 7DBK this year but now i have some issues that need to be resolved. *First off the top locking nut is way to high. *In the setup notes and previous discussion it says to just remove the brass shim, well it does not look to me like there is one on it, do the 7dbk's have them? *And asuming it does how much will it lower cause it needs to come down a bunch? *I have read that you can also sand the wood down underneath, but I am not sure i wanna do that myself so anyone know a good guitar tech in the atlanta area? *Second problem i dont understand this whole take the bridge off instead of the strings, how is this better and what is the process? *Third problem, and the most urgent!!!!!!!! The stupid case is locked shut!!!!!!!! *I know the code and put it in but it just wont open. *I have also tried everything including every posible combination and the thing just wont open......GRRRRRR MY BABY IS TRAPED IN THERE!!!!! *Any help on any or all of these would be greatly apreciated. *Thank you and good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 09:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
A few problems

that is ironic, because is finally got to setup MY DBK and the same issue was faced. In this case you must FILE down the nut.

* Remove the tremolo, nut, trussrod cover and retainer bar.

* Put masking tape over the headstock paint adjacent to the nut

* buy a fine FLAT file the thickness of the nut (take the nut to the hardware store

* make sure to hold the file flat to the headstock.

* as needed with a razor, LIGHTLY trim the edge near the fretboard so the nut fits SNUG. The file typically won't get you the perfect 90-degree angle |_

* if in doubt, let a pro do it
I remove the bridge with strings still attached for ease of retuning. Mandatory for work like this. To unlock the case start spinning every possible combo. Hold the lever as if to open it with one hand, and spin the left wheel around, then incriment the higher number *

001-009
010-019
etc.

15-minutes tops. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 11:40 AM
rgr

A few problems

You can figure out the combo like Glen said. *

Since it is a brand new guitar and you seem unsure how to go about the nut work, I would take it back to where you bought it and either A) get another one or B) have them fix it at no charge. *

I'm a DIY'er at heart but I had some high frets on my DBK when I got it, I went as far as marking them with a marker and took it back to the store and made them fix it. *They were really cool about it, needless to say it wasn't a GC or any other superstore. *

I can understand some problems slipping through QC every once in a while, Ibz seems to have more than it should sometimes, however, there is no reason you should have to live with them on your new guitar.

Also remember that if you take a file to a new guitar and screw it up your warranty is null and void. *

If it is a used guitar and you are unsure of doing the work it should be easy to find a competent luthier in the Atlanta area. *Spending the bucks on someone who knows what they are doing could save you some heartache. *Not to mention that experience is invaluable, sometimes the problem is something different than you think it is and someone with more experience can point it out to you. *

Like I said, I'm very much a DIY'er but, if you are unsure about what to do, start by learning to setup a guitar really well and know what to look for before taking files to one. *I did end up having to take a file to my LPE on my DBK 'cause the knife edges weren't sharp at all but I had the problem narrowed down to that before I got out the tools. *If you go to a luthier ask him questions and see if he will show you some tips and tricks. *From personal experience, I've learned alot and made friends with some luthiers and it has really paid off.

Roger

Tags
guitar tech , high frets , locking nut , retainer bar , trussrod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode