Filling Screw Hole in Spring Cavity - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Filling Screw Hole in Spring Cavity

Hey there, I was just wondering if you guys have any exact brand name of wood filler that works really great for my situation (or any ideas would be great)

Iv'e stripped my screw hole about 3 months back and just been drilling the screw in whereever to the wood.

I was less knowledable bout floating trems etc.. back then so yea..

I want to fill it in (witch i already attempted, and worked great for the right screw, not the left) or some other idea, and then rescrew itto the filled area, so that its the nail is going into the body nice and straight.

Pics(not the best quility but you get the point)

The black screw i put in because it seemed to work better....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Re: Filling Screw Hole in Spring Cavity

Fill the hole with a piece of hardwood dowel glued in with yellow wood glue. Drill the hole out first if necessary to fit the dowel. Once the glue has set, drill a new pilot hole and put the screw in. Wood filler won't hold a screw.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 04:53 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
Fill the hole with a piece of hardwood dowel glued in with yellow wood glue. Drill the hole out first if necessary to fit the dowel. Once the glue has set, drill a new pilot hole and put the screw in. Wood filler won't hold a screw.
He's right wood filler won't hold a screw and that holes is too small/in a tight area to get epoxy into it. Do what the first guy said.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:25 PM

a new screw might help as well, that black one looks more like a screw for metal rather then wood. I could be wrong though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:25 PM

..... looks like a drywall screw ..... hmmmm, home renovating going on?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

mmm couple months ago, yes.

I put that screw in because it works better then the stock one....its way "sharper" looking you can say...

that first idea sounds really good, goin to try that...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 01:16 PM

here is another possibility. if the hole is at an angle here is is hard to drill it out for a new dowel. Use a tooth pick to work as much glue as possible into the existing hole. then using a small tack hammer, or whatever. drive as many glue covered tooth picks into the hole as possible. Don't worry if the ends of the tooth picks hang out from the surface of the wood. Fill the hole tight with tooth picks. Once the glue has dried (overnight) use a sharp chisel to cut off all of the tooth picks flush with the surface of the wood. You now have a fresh and relatively level place to start again with the original screw. Use an awl to mark the spot where you want the new hole. Start with a smaller drill size and work up to the final size that is appropriate for the screw. Put a little soft bar (hand) soap on the threads of the new screw to help it go in. If it is still way too tight, you need to drill out the hole one size larger. This trick can be used for mant different loose screw repairs. leclaw
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 PM
rgr

A hardwood dowel is the best choice (make sure to buy "hardwood", yeah, ask for it at Home Depot then laugh like Beavis), but yeah, it can be hard to drill in the trem cavity so the toothpick thing will work also. Toothpicks are pine which is relatively soft but the glue will harden them up so they will work okay. Toothpicks and glue are commonly used to fix stripped out strap button holes, but the foce from the trem spring is pulling straight against the screw, that's why a tougher wood will be better.

$0.02,
Roger
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 06:47 PM

Yeah, the toothpick trick sometimes works, but I would go for a harder wood in this case because of the force on it. Even with the toothpicks, you still have to drill the new hole, so it doesn't really help the fit-a-drill-in-there problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 PM

Cool Re: Filling Screw Hole in Spring Cavity

Bro in sted of mucking around with wood dowels & glue , tooth picks?- lol!

I had a problem like this with a friends guitar so what i did was drill the metal trem spring holder out slytly bigger holes & used 2 screws from a old guitar that hold a guitar neck to replace the screws in the trem cavity like you have there,

these neck screws are longer & thicker so like i said you must drill those 2 holes out alittle in the metal trem plate spring holder to get the 2 neck screws through the plate, this works well, but you must screw the 2 neck scews used into the guitar body first, rub a little dry hand soap on the screws as a lube to help them go in to the wood easyer , & don't worry if you must screw the screws in deeper to the guitar body- theres plenty of wood to bite into there.- it worked very well for me on my friends guitar with no problems & looks pro.

Cheers Jake.

Last edited by jaken777; 02-20-2006 at 08:01 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 10:33 AM

jaken777, Thats exactly what I was going to suggest. Use bigger screws and drill out the metal "claw" to fit them.

Tags
floating trems , guitar body , neck screws , strap button , trem plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode