Filling in the trem cavity - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Filling in the trem cavity

I have a roadstar that I'm working on, I want to get rid of the power rocker trem and make it a hardtail, so I'm filling in the trem cavity and I was wondering if I have to use basswood since that is what it is made out of or can I use a different type of wood? Any info will help. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Re: Filling in the trem cavity

Don't do this without reading the Project Guitar tutorial on this subject. If it's done properly (see what they suggest about the perimeter), the wood type will be less critical. Otherwise the joints will invariably be visible.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Ok thank you
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 11

I looked through that tutorial, instead of drilling the ground wire from the back, do it through the front where its going to be covered up by the bridge plate.

Also, Id suggest using a 2 part epoxy instead of wood glue for something like that. Theres really no good compressive force to bond the peices together, and epoxy will hold better. Plus, when it dries, you wont have those annoying lines to deal with, because the epoxy wont shrink like the glue does.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Also, Id suggest using a 2 part epoxy instead of wood glue for something like that. Theres really no good compressive force to bond the peices together, and epoxy will hold better. Plus, when it dries, you wont have those annoying lines to deal with, because the epoxy wont shrink like the glue does.
There's no better adhesive for a raw wood-to-raw wood bond than a quality wood glue. That's why luthiers use so much of it.

As the tutorial says, you disguise the edge of the joint by routing or dremeling a small groove and using epoxy wood filler to fill in the groove. So it's wood glue for the inner parts and epoxy where it's exposed.

This is the link for the trem to hardtail tutorial:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht2.htm

Last edited by stratoskier; 07-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
There's no better adhesive for a raw wood-to-raw wood bond than a quality wood glue. That's why luthiers use so much of it.

As the tutorial says, you disguise the edge of the joint by routing or dremeling a small groove and using epoxy wood filler to fill in the groove. So it's wood glue for the inner parts and epoxy where it's exposed.

This is the link for the trem to hardtail tutorial:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht2.htm

Right. some epoxies have literally tons of bonding force though. You're not getting good wood to wood contact. Will it work? Absolutely. As long as you're using the expensive stuff. Stay away from stuff you get at walmart. There's a good wood glue, I don't remember the name, ill look it up when I get home.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM

I was actually thinking of the same thing last night, and found this:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/b...hottrilogy.htm

Not sure the pocket is identical for the Roadstar. Might be worth the $20 if it was though.

Tags
ibanez , roadstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode