Finally finished RG350 (Swirled, Scalloped, Neck Refinished)) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Finally finished RG350 (Swirled, Scalloped, Neck Refinished))

After way too long, I've finally finished the overhaul of my RG350. Actually, I still have to redo the electronics, but that's the easy part. Just thought I'd share how it turned out. I bought this guitar new in 2006, and it has always been my guinea pig. Frets are scalloped from 13-24. I sanded the back of the neck up to 1000 grit and applied a single coat of tung oil. That's an X2N in the bridge, I'll be putting my evo back in the neck soon. Once I get my way over to Radioshack, I'll be putting in the 4 mini switches for all that tapping, paralleling , phasing goodness. I did have a Tremol-No in there, but I let my brother use it as my guitar was disassembled for quite some time. I might steal it back from him, still debating. Well, here she is, let me know what you think.

EDIT:
It's all wired up just how I like it. First 2 switches coil tap each pickup, 3rd switch selects between pickups, and 4th is a kill switch. That's also a momentary kill switch where the tone pot would be.

I'm not 100% happy with how the swirl turned out, so I didn't clear coat it. I'm looking forward to seeing how durable it actually is. Sometime near the end of summer, I'll give the swirlig another go.

EDIT:
Here's a couple before pictures. That's an evo in the neck and a whole lotta mini switches, but my pots have no knobs for some reason... That's the only pic I could find. Also, notice how the strap matches the swirl .

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 01-28-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Re: Finally finished RG350 (Swirled, Scalloped, Neck Refinished))

looks amazing to me ..awesome 350..now drop a real edge trem in it ...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Reviews: 11

Yeah, but when are you gonna do some real mods to it???

I jest of course. I bet that thing is fun to play
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnosferatu2 View Post
looks amazing to me ..awesome 350..now drop a real edge trem in it ...
Thanks, appreciate it. The reason I want to redo it is because of a few drips. You can see one of them on the lower horn. There's also some bubbling on the very bottom. I would love to drop a real edge in there, but I'm not about to shell out $200+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Yeah, but when are you gonna do some real mods to it???

I jest of course. I bet that thing is fun to play
You really got me. I scrolled down and read your first comment and was like "what the hell? Do I have to give it a monkey grip before it's a real mod or something?"

And yes it is very fun to play. I'm debating whether or not to scallop the rest of the neck. I think it'll be too weird to play chords though.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:54 AM

Reviews: 120

That looks awesome. Love the colours.

An Edge Pro will drop in there. I've got one that didn't fit a project so if you are interested PM me.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:00 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Wow--don't know how I missed this one. Looks great!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
That looks awesome. Love the colours.

An Edge Pro will drop in there. I've got one that didn't fit a project so if you are interested PM me.
Thanks for the offer. I really do want it...but I'm buying a car next month. I'm not spending a dime until I save up the down payment I want (almost there ). I'll be looking to replace the trem by Christmas though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Wow--don't know how I missed this one. Looks great!
Thanks, but no "Where's the purple?" comment . I am maybe planning on a blue/purple swirl for my brother's guitar. He's between that or a green, red, and yellow one. We'll have to just wait and see which one he picks.

---

I also might change out the pickguard in a few months. I never plan on having a single coil in there, and I hate having that opening there. It'll probably be made out of this:

Then of course, there's getting the headstock swirled to match. I might of jumped the gun on calling this guitar finished. On second thought, this guitar will never be finished, I'm always changing something on it. It is "finished" for at least the next 3 or 4 months, though.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 AM

NICE LOOKING AXE.

Scalloping: Do you like it? How long did it take? What tools did you use? I am going to scallop a project neck as soon as it gets new frets, and am interested in your feedback!

Again, nice looking guitar!

Last edited by andrewgosline; 06-15-2011 at 11:51 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgosline View Post
NICE LOOKING AXE.

Scalloping: Do you like it? How long did it take? What tools did you use? I am going to scallop a project neck as soon as it gets new frets, and am interested in your feedback!

Again, nice looking guitar!
I love it. It's much easier to play. Notes seem like they ring clearer and bends are effortless. It does take some getting used to though if you've never played on one before.

I think it took 4-5 hours. It is very tedious. It's also very easy to file too much or scratch the crap out of your frets. Just go nice and slow.

I used a round file, it's maybe 1/4" thick. A half round file that's maybe 1/2"-3/4" wide would of been nice to have though. I did tape off all the frets with masking tape which did a decent job of protecting them. Any time I ripped through one, I re-did the tape. Then all you need is some sandpaper and lemon oil.

---

I added some before pics up top.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 06-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to trying it. I'm glad you like it. That's what I wanted to hear. Hopefully the 'getting used to' includes lightening up the grip and/or touch.

Enjoy your new blues/shred machine
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 PM

Hey xXLinkageXx -

I just stumbled across this thread and saw your guitar. I think it turned out awesome! You've got something to be really proud of.

I've got the same model and have been thinking about what to do with the body - I think you just inspired me to give swirling a try.

What kind of paint did you use? Did you ever finish it up with a clear coat?

Congrats on the great work and for sharing your excellent pictures!

Cheers, Gary
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm very happy with this guitar. I will be swirling it again, though. There's some drips and unevenness that I would rather not be there. For a first try though, I'm proud of it. I didn't clear it because I was always planning on doing it over. I was probably just going to get some spray laquer from menards. I was also looking at pour on resins for a little bit.

I used the borax method with Humbrol paints like just about everyone else. I just followed the tutorial at theswirling.com, great info there. Good luck with yours, it can be a little frustrating getting the technique down. Just practice a lot before trying it on a guitar.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM

that looks awsome!
I just finished scalloping my RG320DX from 12-24. i'm so happy i did!
i was little nervous till i started smoothing things out with the 0000 whool then the lemon oil just flipped a switch, made it match the rest of the neck

Glad to see you are also rocking out the JSX! that is my favorite head, ive had it for 6 years now and it still surprises me with the tone!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 PM

Reviews: 3

hey id really recomend putting a better bridge in there. a floyd rose special would be very good if you dont want t shell out a lot of money. i put a gotoh on my 350 and its great. only thing i may do to my 350 is scallop 21-24, though i may try it on my rg321 first, its kinda my test guitar. on that one i shaved away the neck joint and its amazing now hehe
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminJAP View Post
that looks awsome!
I just finished scalloping my RG320DX from 12-24. i'm so happy i did!
i was little nervous till i started smoothing things out with the 0000 whool then the lemon oil just flipped a switch, made it match the rest of the neck

Glad to see you are also rocking out the JSX! that is my favorite head, ive had it for 6 years now and it still surprises me with the tone!!
I was scared at first too. The wood just looks all dry and basically like crap. Like you said though, it just needs a little love and some lemon oil, and you're back in business.

I freakin' love my JSX, I recommend it to everyone. I've had mine for about 2 years. The active eq on the gain channels is way beyond awesome for dialing in tones. Do you run yours with EL34's (I do)? I've been wanting to try some KT77's in there for awhile now. I was going to get the set from eurotubes with the high gain ECC83S's. My currents tubes just won't die .

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZshredder View Post
hey id really recomend putting a better bridge in there. a floyd rose special would be very good if you dont want t shell out a lot of money. i put a gotoh on my 350 and its great. only thing i may do to my 350 is scallop 21-24, though i may try it on my rg321 first, its kinda my test guitar. on that one i shaved away the neck joint and its amazing now hehe
Yeah, I've thought about putting a legit trem in it. I have it blocked right now so I can change tunings without the headache. If I ever do upgrade it, though, I'd find a used Lo Pro or Edge Pro. I don't skimp on guitar stuff, I get what I want, or I don't get it.

It can be a little daunting at first to scallop a guitar, but it's not so hard. Once that file scrapes the first bits of wood off, though, there's no turning back. Scalloped frets are awesome for bending and vibratos. They just ring out so clear and are effortless. At first I did 20-24, a few months later I did the rest just for the strings bends.

^^^ALSO, I UPDATED THE FIRST PIC OF THIS THREAD.^^^

Tags
swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode