Finally got my Cherry JS! Now what???!!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Finally got my Cherry JS! Now what???!!!

Well my Cherry JS, and Radius neck came today. Looks really cool, and the cherry woodgrain is beautiful! I know this guitar is going to have a great tone, plus I like the fact the wood is so heavy! Never played a guitar made from cherry Now comes the fun part of figuring out what the hell to do with it

I plan on keeping a fixed Bridge on this one, but was wondering what everyone here would recommend? I'm looking for something with good tuning stability?? Naturally my neck still has the locking nut, and pads so not sure what to get. Plus I'd like to keep the string thru body as well

My plan also is to have the body sent to Eddie, and have all the measurments, and routing corrected, and finished. Then from there have the neck joint modified to a AANJ. Luckily the neck joint is still block style, and not the angled block you see on a JS!

Any recommendations on pups? I was looking torwards a Tone Zone, Screamin Demon, Pearly Gates, or Evolution???I know I'm going to want to split the coil so I can get a single coil Strat sound as well!

Now the finish. God help me on this one! I'm thinking swirl, or blue sparkle, or perhaps just a transparent so I can show the woodgrain off. Maybe a custom graphic of my own cause I don't want to copy a Donnie or Rainforest! Anyway I'd appreciate any ideas. As you can tell I'm really excited about this one. I want it to be something special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:13 AM

Where did you get a JS body made of cherry?

Why would you want to put any kind of opaque finish on a semi-exotic wood like that?

You could probably go with the standard Gotoh strat-style fixed bridge and mount the strings through the body. If you've got a neck with a Floyd nut on it already, i'd suggest maybe just leaving the string retainer on and the pads off, and try some locking tuners and see how that goes.

Why does it need "measurements and routing corrected" by Eddie?

I have a feeling that Pearly Gates might sound really huge in a guitar with such a heavy body.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Darren I got the body, and neck from Tom Cook here on Jemsite! I have no idea if he made it, but I know Jeremy had it sitting around his place for a long time so maybe he knows something??

Well if I do a transparent finish I'm not sure what color. Probably blue most likely, but they've already had a tranparent blue JS so maybe something else?? Like I said I want it to be special, and unique from any other JS.

Your right I should leave the locking pads off. Cause if I lock the strings,and have a fixed bridge there won't be any fine tuners!

Well I plan on sending to Eddie anyway so I can get the AANJ, but just from looking at the guitar you can tell the routes need touched up, and sanded. There not even on all for corners as far as the pup routes go, and the fixed bridge is off to the right a little bit! Also the holes for the string thru body aren't all lined up straight. The body still needs some sanding done to smooth out and define all the curves you'd see on a JS. The neck joint needs some work too(placement of neck screws).

Actually might swap the neck for an actual JS if I can. I like the straight headstock better! I'll definitely check out the Pearly's. Thx Darren appreciate. I'll keep everyone updated
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 10:17 AM

A cherry JS. Mmmm thats a big cherry, love to eat that
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 03:57 PM

Check out universal jems, they have a graphite nut that is a direct replacement for your locking one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:08 PM

Ok, I'll put up the story here LOL!!!!!

About 12 years ago, as a little boy, who was real bored, I bought a big ole slab of cherry wood. I took a guitar I had, and traced the shape, did a lot of "guesstimating" and started sawing. I had no clue about building a guitar LOL.
I lost interest after I'd roughed the radius shape and routed for the neck and pickups (mostly due to lack of a neck, and lack of money)

So, there it sat for years, then Tom was looking for a body, I don't remember what he was looking for, I said, you pay the shipping, the body is yours, you can finish it, chuck it, burn it, I don't care. Now Scott has it. The bridge was never mounted, and electronics cavities were never done, the neck pocket and pickup routes weren't the cleanest by any stretch, but I think they're accurate, maybe not, like I say, it was free body that COULD be used. so, I'd really like to see it done one day.

Having said that, DON"T PUT A SOLID COLOR ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finish it like i had planned, it was going to be a natural oil finish.

Jeremy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:10 PM

ahhhhhhh, I missed your second post, (my bad)
Tom must have done some more work to it I had no holes drilled hehehe
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thx Jeremy appreciate. Didn't think the body had been around for that long!! Now that you mention it I might go with th natural finish. Have that JS600 look(did I get the model number right?) If so I think I will pick up a JS neck, and sell this Radius one(540). First things first, I have to get the body finished! I'm so excited about getting a JS style guitar with a AANJ! Thx for the suggestion on the nut! I'll check it out. I was trying to look at bridges yesterday, but couldn't find anything that really fit the string thru body! Does Gotoh have a site? Darren suggested it but I couldn't find an official Gotoh website! Thx everyone, and I'll keep you posted!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 07:47 PM

there was, and might still be a JS1 neck on **** right now

**** = E B A Y
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:18 PM

I don't remember where i saw this nut first, but it's different from the one on universaljems.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Thx Darren. I really can't see it that well from that photo, but if anyone recognizes it, and knows where I can check them out let me know. Are you sure about the graphite nut on Universal Jems being a direct replacement? Just want to make sure

Jeremy I've been checking out that JS1 neck, but not sure I want to pay that kind of money. Plus curious why the JS Series is missing??? Of course someone could have taken it off so no one would know it was a JS!

Well I need to decide on a bridge first. I'm still waiting to hear back from Eddie so I can talk to him about getting the body finished! Jeremy I have decided to get it done natural cause it would be a crime to cover up that natural cherry woodgrain! No clearcoat though...I don't want that glossy look!

Tags
fixed bridge , graphite nut , locking nut , locking tuners , neck joint , neck screws , strat sound , string thru body , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

1964 cherry red gibson es-335?
who is supporting black stone cherry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode