Fine tuning - Edge Pro II - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Fine tuning - Edge Pro II

I have an Ibanez RGT42FML that I bought new a few years back, but haven't use much due to issues with it. It is a floating bridge trem, and from what I hear it is not the best design that Ibanez had. I'm having an issue where I cannot get the guitar in tune at all with the fine tuners. I just had it professionally setup by a tech I have complete confidence in and it worked great unit I started playing and had to started tweaking the strings with the fine tuners. I understand that with a floating bridge its a bit of a pain to tune, but this has been more of a nightmare than just inconvenience and completely frustrating to the point where last night I just completely gave up on an entire recording session and am considered getting rid of the guitar entirely.

So what I'd like to find on this forum is some advice from anyone who has experience with floating bridges and maybe can offer some pointers on how to properly utilize the fine tuners on a floating bridge system. I feel like I'm just doing something wrong and that there has to be a reasonable solution to this problem. I try to just tune like normal, from low E to high E, but as I tune certain strings to pitch, others go out. Specifically the low E has a bad tendency to drop down as others go up.

Any thoughts and advice is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Re: Fine tuning - Edge Pro II

seems normal for floating bridges, you just need to lock the top nuts and keep retuning.

once you get it right it should stay right for a long time though.

It does usually take more than 2 or 3 passes to get all the strings in tune,
but that only takes a couple of minutes, its not so bad.

Just make fine adjustments, as usual its better to tune up than down.

Floyd type bridges can be annoying, if you want to get a big twangy sound by picking with your thumb I find it throws the tuning, but I find a well set up floyd holds tuning better than any guitar without a locking nut.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Reviews: 11

Block the beast!

But this is just normal trem hassle. I've always noticed that Edge Pro's (Including the EP7) and Edge Pro II's are a B**CH to set properly. All of the ones I've set up in the past were. I ended up blocking it and being a much happier guy! Though I'm a death metal player so I don't need the trem anyway. I'm sure it's a different case for you.

I found that even 1/4 of a turn on the screws for the spring claw (even just 1 spring) can do a world of difference. If they're all tuned a bit flat together, then give it just the slightest turn tighter and see where you end up. Same goes for if you're a bit sharp, back the screws off just a bit. It's honestly amazing.

Another good way is to find a way to block it (temporarily. I use a strat knob and however many picks needed between the tone block and the wood (on the opposite side of the springs!) until it's level), back the spring tension way off (so that the strings haver more tension on the trem and keep it in place), tune it, and then start adding spring tension until whatever you used to block it falls out ON ITS OWN. Then just fine tune your way to being in tune!

Did any of that make sense? I'm not always good at explaining things. . . . Let me know and I'll post some pics because this really is a great method for me that I think might work for you too.

Last edited by D.M.RG7620; 12-30-2011 at 03:53 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:10 AM

I have an RG220B that has the Edge Pro II on it. My experience with Ibanez prior to getting that guitar was RG550's, and UV's with Edge's and LoPro Edge's. I'm not sure if this might be your problem but I noticed with the Edge Pro II the fine tuner ratio is higher than any other Floyd type bridge I've used (OFR's, Floyd PRO's, Edge). That is to say, it takes more turns of a fine-tuner to get it to do anything. I swear, I can turn them sometimes and it seems they do nothing. On the plus side, at least with mine, the springs were heavier than normal and other strings weren't changed as much by one string being tuned.

All I can advise is to get it as close to tune as possible with the headstock tuners before locking the nut. You might want to take note of which strings move up or down when being locked at the nut and compensate for that first, before locking down.

I find the Edge Pro II gets a bad wrap. No, it's not an Edge or Floyd Rose Original, or PRO, but I have had no problems with it keeping tune. The arm and how it's held kind of sucks - flutter effects are out due to that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode