First time clean-up and set-up - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
tTz

First time clean-up and set-up

Hey

Well, the time has come where I'm going to bite the bullet and attempt to setup my RG550. I've had it for a few months (can't remember how long, actually...) and there have been dead spots around the 15th fret since I got it (which I never noticed at the time, strangely).

G string 15th fret is the worst, it doesn't even sound a note in any recognisable way.

Anyway, I had a quick go the other day, seing where all the screws and stuff are. So far I've raised the action (practically tripled it tbh) with no results, changed the trem angle marginally, with no results. I'm terrified I'm going to break something while I'm doing this...how much does it take to break or damage a guitar?

I'll be having another crack at setting it up sometime this week when I'll have a lot of spare time (hopefully). I also want to try to clean it up generally. Basically, I feel the need to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together so that it looks great, plays great, sounds great etc...

I'm just looking for general tips and suggestions about doing this (especially cleaning the maple fretboard, any help would be great), because it's the only electric I've ever owned (jumped in the deep end, getting a floating trem equipped guitar) and I'm nervous about breaking it. I have been referring to both the Jemsite and Ibanez Rules tech sections as well. And I know this will sound pretty pathetic to most people out there who know how to do their setups etc, but I figure that it's better to ask now and look stupid than to snap my guitar in half because I was too proud to ask advice.

Thanks in advance for anything you can say
tTz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 03:08 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: First time clean-up and set-up

You're right, it's better to ask first if you don't know, and most of use don't pass judgement and are more than happy to help.

First, have you checked the neck? It may need a neck adjustment. Sometimes, even if you raise the action, you'll still get dead spots. I believe Rich's site gives you great info on this. http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_7.htm

I would also check the angle of the neck inside the pocket. Rich's site also is a wonderful source for this. I sometimes have had to take the original shim (if it has one) out.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_6.htm

I personally would check these first. If everything pans out neck wise, I'll have a better idea of what's going on without actually having the guitar in hand

I use a OOOO steel wool to clean the fretboards (with the grain). If it has very deep stains, you may have to use a very fine sandpaper to get them out. This does remove the finish on the fretboard too, so keep that in mind.

And, don't worry about breaking anything, these things are very well built and can take a beating. If you take your time, and do a little research (like you're doing), you'll have no problems breaking anything!!

Josh
PS - Thanks Rich
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
tTz

I must have overlooked those two pages, thanks!

Neck seems fairly straight, though I have next to no idea what I'm looking for. I'll read over those pages though, thanks. I'll report back here anything I find out.

:edit:

I think I've seen the first of those 9 pages, but must have missed the rest. The thanks still stand.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
tTz

Okay, well the action is about as high as I think I can cope with. Still quite a few dead spots, but not as noticeable through an amp any more. A few are still quite prominent though. Adjust the neck seems to be the next thing on my list, so how do I do that?

I think I can manage to unscrew the truss rod cover on my own. Where do I go from that though - ie, how far to I adjust the truss rod, what way...

Help apreciated
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 3

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm

The best souce I could find for you instead of me going into a long diatribe about it

Check out the rest of that site too. It can be a very helpful resource!
Good luck and let us know if anything else arises!
Josh
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
tTz

Okay, thanks again. Got all tomorrow free to have a fiddle and see what happens.

Tags
equipped guitar , maple fret , maple fretboard , steel wool , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode