First time I ever cleaned a rosewood fretboard and polished the frets - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
First time I ever cleaned a rosewood fretboard and polished the frets

Ok so I cleaned my first guitar neck and polished the frets.

What I used:

Thin guitar pick
old t-shirt (clean) (actually 2 shirts)
0000 steel wool
tooth brush
murphys oil soap
guitar honey

What I did:
Summary - I mostly followed Rich's guide over at Ibanez Rules http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_3.htm I also added a couple of steps because I wanted to feel like I actually cleaned the board with a cleaner. Not that Rich's guide is bad but rather I am a germaphobe ha ha. I'm not telling anyone they should use the cleaner I did just that is what I did.

Step one:
I removed the neck from the guitar.

Obviously this neck was off before as someone before me put the plate on backwards. I also thought the screws were in the wrong holes. Hopefullly something I won't have to fix later.

Well Learned something already. This is a RG560 guitar and the neck is stamped 550. I am assuming either all 560's are stamped 550 or this neck was replaced at some point.
Step 2:
I took the edge of a guitar pick and held it fairly flat against the fretboard and scraped off (always with the grain) what I could of the crud. Sorry I forgot to take pictures of this but here are a couple of the dirty looking frets and fretboard. yucky...

Step 3:
Retrieve camera from 3 yr old son.

Step 4:
I took a toothbrush and quickly brushed (with the grain) the entire length of the board to brush away any loose material and to help loosen whatever else is on there. 9 out of 10 dentist prefer oral B you know.

Step 5:
I took a cloth wrapped around my finger and rubbed the board (with the grain as much as possible). A little elbow grease here but made sure not to use my fingernail to dig into the board.

Last edited by sssteve72; 10-11-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: First time I ever cleaned a rosewood fretboard and polished the frets

Yes--all 500 series guitars used the 550 neck.

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Step 6:
I then took my steel wool and rubbed the entire fretboard (with the grain)

Step 7:
I again wiped it with the grain using the cloth and then the toothbrush and then the cloth again. (no picture here)
Step 8:
After the above 6 steps here is what we look like.

No those frets are not polished...yet..

Step uhh...9:
I cleaned the entire length of the fretboard using a little murphy's oil soap and water. I did the frets or rather between the frets
one by one and immediately wiped it off.

Now my germaphobia is calming down....

Well that is looking a lot cleaner than it did in the first or second picture. still the frets are not polished. Though they do look better.
Step 10:
I covered the rosewood fretboard with a little blue painters tape. **edit** I forgot to mention detack the tape on your pants before using it.

Last edited by sssteve72; 10-11-2011 at 10:17 AM.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Actually I covered the fretboard down to about the 10th fret then I started doing it one at a time like this.

Step 11:
I lightly rubbed each fret for about 10 to 20 seconds or as needed to remove the tarnish and oxidation.
The fret on the far right has been polished in the picture below. Looking a lot better to me.

When I removed the tape I noticed a little something:

It looks like the tape pulled a little crud out of the grain of the board.

Step 12:

I once again used a little murphys oil and water and quickly went over the board again. Germaphobia kicked when saw the tape.. lol

Step 13:
I sprayed the board with guitar honey and wiped it off. I used a seperate rag from the one I used
when I wiped it off after using the steel wool. I didn't want to leave behind pieces of steel wool from
the used cloth. I actually sprayed this twice and let it sit for about a minute the second time.
I don't know why I just felt like doing it. lol

Last edited by sssteve72; 10-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

And the completed product:

And a couple of before and after shots:

BEFORE:

AFTER

BEFORE:

AFTER:

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Started around 9:47 AM and finished around 1PM. Lots of breaks for the kids too.

Well had fun. Enjoy the pictures and feel free to tell me if I did something rather stupid..
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Yes--all 500 series guitars used the 550 neck.
Thanks Bat.

That's one reason I did this as I wanted to learn something. I would have figured they just stamped each neck 550 or 560 or 570 etc etc etc..
Or if they used the same neck on all three it would say 550 560 570.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Vendor

That's not crud on the tape, it's grain that's being pulled off the surface. But if the extra cleaning after cured your germ disorder, maybe it was worth it to you.

I guess you can play it now without wearing a hazmat suit
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Red face Re: First time I ever cleaned a rosewood fretboard and polished the frets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's not crud on the tape, it's grain that's being pulled off the surface. But if the extra cleaning after cured your germ disorder, maybe it was worth it to you.

LOL..
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I only wear the hazmat suit changing diapers.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 AM

I'm gonna do this tonight!! thanks for inspiring me!
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:54 AM

I am gonna chime in here against the use of the murphys and WATER. You are asking for sprung frets by doing that. Plus you really don't want murphys on your fretboard, it WILL attract more gunk now that you have impregnated the grain with this stuff.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
I am gonna chime in here against the use of the murphys and WATER. You are asking for sprung frets by doing that. Plus you really don't want murphys on your fretboard, it WILL attract more gunk now that you have impregnated the grain with this stuff.
You worried about it loosening the glue on the frets? or more like the wood swelling from water or both?
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Reviews: 17

I was actually going to say that it is not recommended to use water in general for cleaning wood, as it raises the grain and can seep into the fret slots. Looks great though
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Honestly the water and murphys was only on there for like a 3 seconds then immediately wiped dry (I know there is still absorbtion into the wood). The amount of murphys in the water was literally like a drop in about 6 oz of water (granted it is still there). I am not recommending this procedure. Rather it was what I choose to do. Thanks for the feedback though. Time will tell how good or bad of a choice it was.
**edit** I certainly would not do this again nor did I plan to beforehand. Moreso this is a guitar I plan on keeping and wanted to give it an initial cleaning.

Tags
fretboard , polishing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode