Fixing bump in back of maple neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Fixing bump in back of maple neck

I'd like to fix this double bump in the back of my neck. Normally I'd do the steam trick with a soldering iron to expand the wood back, but this is finished, so I guess that is not gonna work...

Should I remove the finish first? The whole neck or partially? I think this is lacquer on 92 RG550... or is the back tung oiled as well? Thx !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 PM

Re: Fixing bump in back of maple neck

if it an old 550...... i'd just sand the finish off up to about where the nut is (it's really thin) make sure you can't feel the bumps... then finish with the neck with your oil of choice ( i use tung oil true oil would be a good option as well) a few coats then hit it with some 0000 steal wool it will be awesome
similar to how music man does their necks
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Wouldn't you steam decompress the dent location ?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 08:07 PM

I wouldn't... but that's just me... I don't think they look that deep i'd sand the finish off first then make the call
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 1

You can fill the bumps with superglue. Make sure it comes above the surface, and use a little drop at a time then let it dry. Then trim it off with a razorblade, sand lightly with 400 & 800 grit. Wetsand and polish afterwards. Done right it'll be perfect.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

thx Tony. I've seen repairs for dents in flat surfaces like that.

Once filled, you dont see the dents anymore?

Tags
bump fix neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode