Fixing dings in neck? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Fixing dings in neck?

Picked up a well used RG3120 this weekend and there are a few small dings in the back of the neck. I was going to do the whole 600 grit -> 1000 grit -> Gun wax treatment to it but then I came across the wet cloth and soldering iron method... has anyone done this before? Any other recommendations? Here's a pic of the neck but it was a little hard to show the dings. There are a few more than you can see here:

This thing was filthy, but after a thorough cleaning and adjustment it plays so nice. Once I smooth out the neck it will be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Banned

Re: Fixing dings in neck?

How about applying some wood putty maple-colored locally and then a layer of thin clear coat over it? I had read about the wet cloth + soldering iron method, You wouldn't want to add humidity to your neck, don't know, sounds scary.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Vendor

You can only steam bare wood. You wet it first then apply steam to swell the compression back out. You cannot penetrate the clearcoat on the neck. You can fill with superglue and sand back flush if they bother you that much.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You can only steam bare wood. You wet it first then apply steam to swell the compression back out. You cannot penetrate the clearcoat on the neck. You can fill with superglue and sand back flush if they bother you that much.
THIS^^^^

At best, steaming over the clear will do nothing- at worst it will soften the clear and turn your neck into a gooey mess. If none of the dinks are worse than you pictured, I'd do nothing and play it as it is. If they REALLY bother you- drop filling (exactly as Rich posted) is your best bet.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. They don't really affect playability at all, I guess I'm just a bit anal about wanting to keep my stuff looking nice.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Trust me when I say this- If those are the worst of the dinks.....it DOES look nice!!!

.....and I'm not even putting a smiley after that because I'm serious. Don't mess with it unless you HAVE to.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
yep this is the easiest most effective method. this one works great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

You can get up to 5000 grit at most automotive stores and while you are there pick up some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. You can use it to get a high gloss finish if you don't have a buffing wheel.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Trust me when I say this- If those are the worst of the dinks.....it DOES look nice!!!

.....and I'm not even putting a smiley after that because I'm serious. Don't mess with it unless you HAVE to.
It's worse than it looks in the photo but I'm having a real hard time getting a good pic of it. That being said, I'm going to heed your advice and leave well enough alone. I don't want to ruin a perfectly good neck because of vanity.

Tags
rg3120 neck ding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode