Floating Bridge? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Floating Bridge?

Hi

First post here and possibly a stupid technical question!

I recently bought an Ibanez Artcore AF75 TDG on Ebay. The floating bridge was clearly in completely in the wrong position.

With the aid of some basic videos on YouTube I learnt the basics of positioning a floating bridge.

BUT..once done I also noticed the screw posts on either side of the bridge that hold the metal part of the bridge to its wooden foot-plate have an angle on them!

My question (possibly dumb?) is: "When viewed SIDE on, should the posts be seen to lean backwards (i.e towards the tail-piece of the guitar) or be leaning forwards (i.e. towards the neck of the guitar)?

Thank in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 PM

Re: Floating Bridge?

Can u post a pic of the issue?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Not sure how to post photos...but will try!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0126.jpg (97.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.jpg (67.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by derin100; 03-02-2018 at 12:30 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

As you can see in the above photos...the metal part of the bridge simply sits on to the wooden foot-plate by means the two gold coloured, threaded posts. But these two posts aren't made completely 'vertical'. As you can see, the way I have it currently is such that the posts lean backwards towards the tail-piece of the guitar. But, I could equally well have just put the wooden foot-plate on the other way around (so that the posts would have been leaning forwards towards the neck of the guitar) because obviously with it being a bridge which isn't actually glued to the guitar the wooden foot-plate could be put on either way around....If that makes sense?

BUT...I don't know which is the correct way around!?

Thanks again in advance!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Is that an aftermarket bridge assembly? Either that or the feet have been removed. The issue is that the studs are extended too far from the wooden portion of the bridge. The bigger issue however is that the wooden portion is too short -

Have a look here...

This is an artcore with the proper bridge installed and the height your going for -

Hope that helps out
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MojoAtomic

But no, I don't think anything has been replaced on the guitar at all.. You can't see it from my photo but the wooden part of the bridge is indeed exactly like your photo shows (i.e. it's raised up on the two outer pieces like yours).

I'll see if I can get another photo to show that.

This guitar belong to an older guy who recently passed away but he kept it in absolute pristine condition...there is literally not a single, tiny mark on it. I doubt he modified anything...or even bent anything as both posts are perfectly at the same slight angle

I have another Artcore semi (an AF105) so quite a similar construction but unfortunately it's away at my house in France and I live in England.

Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I've also just noted from your photo...that the screws heads for the intonation adjustment screws are facing the tail of your guitar?

Every other Artcore guitar that I look at in photographs (and on mine) the bridge is on such that screws are facing the neck side of the bridge...or does this make no difference?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 04:39 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

factory pics are intonation screws facing the pickup/headstock. Is it pinned (indentation, friction pad or body notched) to keep the bridge from sliding forward when you play thus keeping intonation? I'm clueless on this particular axe bridge + trem. Post a good pic after you get it right though for reference.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

I think I've solved the question.

Although not the same guitar (it's an Artcore with a fixed bridge) the question is essentially answered at around 2.05 in this video:

The angulation of the bridge posts would be so as to increase the downward pressure of the strings as they pass over the bridge. So, if the if the posts are angled "backwards" (i.e. towards the tail-piece) this would have that effect. They need to lean backwards to compensate for the contour of the body at the position where the bridge sits in it. In leaning backwards they are in effect at their most perpendicular to the body!

You can also see how he's put the bridge on so that the intonation screws face the neck.

This is actually the orientation that I had put the bridge back on anyway.

Many thanks indeed for your thoughts as well.

Last edited by derin100; 03-03-2018 at 05:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode