Flowerpattern/Paisly fabric finish - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Flowerpattern/Paisly fabric finish

I have an R440 body that I'd like to customize and was thinking about creating a FP-like finish using fabric with some nice paisly pattern for example.

anybody ever tried doing that on a non-JEM/RG body?

pics/tips welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:05 PM

Re: Flowerpattern/Paisly fabric finish

I'm finishing up a fabric RG guitar project, I just have to find some time to put the rest of the hardware on and wire it up.

So far it's come out really nice. I pretty much followed the guide from project guitar which can be found here:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm

The only thing I did differently was instead of using titebond I used modge podge to glue the fabric to the body.

Here a link to the thread of my project:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ti...rg-135711.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks madasahatter
your project looks really great! nice job!
I found that tutorial too on projectguitar and it works really good with RG shaped guitars because of the flat top and sharp edges.

my R440 is curved everywhere, so that will give some challenges straightening the fabric out I'm afraid.

I'll probably just need to give it a try and see what happens!

first I got to strip a refinish off though. probably as painful as yours...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 06:44 AM

Getting the fabric over the curves shouldn't be too bad, the challenge I think would be the where to stop the edges and getting the fabric to blend into the body without leaving a ridge. I've read somewhere that you could use CA gel around the ends of the fabric and sand it to blend the fabric to the body.

Another thought if you wanted to go this direction is doing a hydrodipped graphic. I've seen smaller home kits for doing things like cell phone cases or game controllers being sold. I've always thought it'd be cool if you could do a guitar body and would probably work really well on one with alot of bends and/or curves.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

something to check out, never heard of hydrodipped graphics.

you're right, the edges are going to be the problem.

I'll keep you updated
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 02:21 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Getting the fabric over the curves shouldn't be too bad, the challenge I think would be the where to stop the edges and getting the fabric to blend into the body without leaving a ridge. I've read somewhere that you could use CA gel around the ends of the fabric and sand it to blend the fabric to the body.

Another thought if you wanted to go this direction is doing a hydrodipped graphic. I've seen smaller home kits for doing things like cell phone cases or game controllers being sold. I've always thought it'd be cool if you could do a guitar body and would probably work really well on one with alot of bends and/or curves.
IIRC, Zoot's "Boa Jem" was hydro dipped. I think it looks incredible.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

nice!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 01:11 AM

Whoah, that's an awesome finish and a killer idea.

Tags
customize , flower pattern , paisley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode