Floyd rose bridge saddle block inserts compatible with Edge trem? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Floyd rose bridge saddle block inserts compatible with Edge trem?

I lost a saddle block and ordered a new set from Allparts, labeled Floyd Rose. At a glance it appears these blocks are a smidge taller than those that came with my Edge (which edge? I don't know; it's a 1995 RG520QS).

I've noticed the string with the replaced block (B string) is sitting a bit higher than the others. Is this because I have the wrong part?

Also, is the indented circle supposed to be at the top or bottom, if the guitar is lying flat on its back? I surmised that it should be towards the top, but may be wrong.

Thanks all.

-the Gaucho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Re: Floyd rose bridge saddle block inserts compatible with Edge trem?

I just installed a new Gotoh tremolo and compared the blocks to the old Lo TRS II that came out. They looked very close in size. On both of these tremolos, the circles were definitely toward the bottom. They should line up with where ever the screws that lock them down will be hitting the block.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, gideond. I knew the screws should seat into the circles, but the things are so tiny it's tough to tell just where the screw is hitting the insert. If only I had x-ray vision.

That does make me feel better that maybe the slight size difference shouldn't matter, as long as the screw is seating into the insert properly.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

So I've turned the saddle insert around so that the recessed circle is towards the bottom (towards the body of the guitar), and still my B string sits marginally higher than its neighbors. Not excessively so, but just enough that I can feel it and it bothers me. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and replace the other 5 and see if they all line up right (or rather just replace one next to it to see if the two new ones are in line).

Any other experience or thoughts on this?

the Gaucho
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 AM

I'd replace them all. If it doesn't feel right then you won't be happy until you go ahead and swap them out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Reviews: 13

From my understanding the blocks are apparently unique to the Edge Trem system. Replacements aren't too hard to get, however they can be expensive to replace with an original part - beleive me, I was stupid enough to buy some. Try Rich he may have them, and likely at a cheaper price than from were I bought mine.

-Wolfram
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Don't forget that OFR saddles have a tiny "L" on the bottom and you'll have to sand that down. It's pretty easy, 10 seconds for each, but if you don't do that, the bottom won't be totally flat.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

MYSTERY SOLVED.

Amazing what happens when you do a little detecitve work.

I noticed the high E insert was sitting lower than the rest, which was making it feel like the B was higher. I fully removed the E saddle and found that part of it is missing- the thin metal backing that should cradle the saddle insert is simply missing. Thus the insert was sitting on the base of the trem itself (I'm using the word "base" loosely since I don't know that much about floating trems).

I don't have another saddle on hand of course so I just carefully made sure the screw was seating directly into the recessed hole in the saddle insert (tougher than it sounds) and it seems that is holding it in place where it should be, and fixing my string unevenness problem.

Next step I guess is to contact Rich to get me a new saddle.

Thanks all- I've learned a lot through this thread even though it turned out to be a simple problem.

-the Gaucho
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

MYSTERY SOLVED.

Amazing what happens when you do a little detecitve work.

I noticed the high E insert was sitting lower than the rest, which was making it feel like the B was higher. I fully removed the E saddle and found that part of it is missing- the thin metal backing that should cradle the saddle insert is simply missing. Thus the insert was sitting on the base of the trem itself (I'm using the word "base" loosely since I don't know that much about floating trems).

I don't have another saddle on hand of course so I just carefully made sure the screw was seating directly into the recessed hole in the saddle insert (tougher than it sounds) and it seems that is holding it in place where it should be, and fixing my string unevenness problem.

Next step I guess is to contact Rich to get me a new saddle.

Thanks all- I've learned a lot through this thread even though it turned out to be a simple problem.

-the Gaucho
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

As for ordering the part, which saddle should go on my RG520QS Edge tremolo? What's the difference between the Edge Black "Bare" and the Edge Black "Complete?

Tags
edge , floyd rose , saddle blocks , saddle inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode