FLOYD ROSE High e won't slack??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

FLOYD ROSE High e won't slack???

Hello,
I'm a southpaw and rather than dropping nearly $1,000 (at least $600) for a decent guitar with a Floyd I came upon a cheap but quite quality Squire and decided to retrofit it. The job came out pretty damned good. It's not going to be my end all be all and I'm thinking about building a custom guitar in the future (possibly several) but for right now this works to practice shredding techniques and learning tricks on the Floyd.

Admittedly the pocket has overhang because the guitar was not designed for a Floyd and I didn't route it out. It's top mounted but the fine tuner tongues seem to rest down in the pocket a tad. But surprisingly this doesn't effect the tuning. The problem is slacking a full stall. The HIGH e never goes full slack for some reason so EVH or 80s Metal style stalls are impossible. It causes the volume to completely drop out at half trem compression because there's still uneven tension on the HIGH e. I checked the post I drilled. They seem to be even. It's hard to tell but perhaps the HIGH e post is slightly further from the bridge pickup and closer to the pocket but if it is it's only barely a 1/16", probably even less than that. Could this be causing the problem?

I also notice that feather harmonics on the HIGH e 5th fret are nearly impossible to get. 3, 7, 12 and 19 ring true but 5 is so finiky it might as well be impossible.

Just wondering if anyone can lend some insight?

The neck is shimmed by the way if that makes any difference and I have nut shims should anyone suggest I try them out.

SPECs

GUITAR
-Affinity Squire Stratocaster
-Retrofitted pocket & Tremolo Studs (possibly slightly uneven)

TREMOLO
-Original REAL Floyd Rose Left Handed Tremolo (Brand New)
-L2 Nut
-1 degree neck shim
-D-Tuna (which works perfectly, only has issues when temperature/humidity drastically changes overnight)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:29 AM

Re: FLOYD ROSE High e won't slack???

Your Floyd is fine.
Image line from tremolo post to post. Further end string is from line, more play or travel it has in using tremolo. So 3rd and 6th string will change pitch more then 1st and 4th. Just look at sadle positions. . Try to find some tabs for favorite 80's song and you will see that mostly 3rd and 2nd string are used for harmonics.
On every Floyd type tremolo high E, and D will change pitch less then any other string, simply because it is the closest to posts.
Stainberger trans trem move all 6 strings in same pitch, and you can even lock it in different tuning.

Last edited by peromucho7; 08-31-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Tags
original floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode